Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 08:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 8th Annual Fractal Art Competition 2015 - Announcement  (Read 19610 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »

making the database query is totally doable, but providing a user interface and information to the voter how much he has voted, and inform about this is not done easily, and since i dont want to provide an imperfect solution now it is staying like it is

so, although the overall system is imperfect i just follow the rule - never change a running system - at least until i can come up with something reasonable new, which includes a fair amount of design and user interfacing regarding the fact of the huge amount of entries to vote for

to vote for every entry would be a solution but also here would which would be needed is a fast way to rate lots of images, and not click - vote - click - vote for more than 200 entries....

until we do not have reasonable prizes to win, its a pure fun thing to participate here and give the world a standing about current fractal art possibilities

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
pjt33
Forums Newbie

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »

The thumbnail generator doesn't seem to like my B&W image. Is it possible to force it to regenerate it (or for me to manually upload a 250x250 thumbnail)?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 12:26:47 AM »

That is an odd way for it to crop your image to make a thumbnail!

To answer your question, no.  There is no way to regenerate or replace a thumbnail for anybody except possibly our administrator.

But I can delete it for you and you can try again.

I wont be online for long, but if you see this in the next 15 minutes or so, and reply, we can give it a shot.

Let me know what you want to do...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Fitz
Explorer

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 09:48:48 PM »

Working on some submissions for both still categories that I hope to submit soon, but I've always been a bit curious about the logic behind the voting process. Why go with a system that only counts the total number of stars received instead of using one that determines a winner by highest average score? It seems weird that an entry could theoretically have ten people all voting five stars on it and still lose out to an entry that had 51 people all give it one star. The system inherently seems to favor artists that are already relatively popular and likely to have more people bothering to vote on their submissions rather than necessarily rewarding the highest quality entries.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »

So, its because of the circumstances, this is the only system we have
and the discussion appears every year, anone is invited to provide a better system, i plan to impllement one for the 10th anniversary

and the example you posted works vice versa inthe opposite direction as well, a single 5 star vote would outnumber a thousand five star and a single 4 star vote

although we have an academical mathematical approach at hand, which includes some weighting, more votes of any kind for an entry are good

but i doubt it would be understood by anyone

so i go for the one that everyone catches easily, i feel a bit sorry for that, i feel sorry for not providing adequste prizes and i feel sorry for anyone which gets not enough attention

but i am happy about every entry, i am happy about everyone contributing, i am happy to hold this tiny promotional event for the 8th time in row, its a remarkable point to show off current possibilities

as long as we have nothing more than a cup of coffee to compete about its pure fun.

the future system will be a system where every voter had to provide its personal top ten, but until its finished we settle for the one everyone understands

---

Fitz
Explorer

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 12:13:33 AM »

I figured it was probably something like the reason you listed. Unless it's mandatory for users to vote on every entry in a given category, each method is going to have its inherent downsides whether it's an entry with a single five star vote throwing things off or an entry with 1000 one star votes. Requiring a top ten sounds like a good compromise since it's not quite as burdensome as having to rate every single entry and is likely to establish a relatively clean consensus when the same favorites show up high on everyone's lists.

Although I do take that coffee mug very, very seriously so I'll have to come up with something better than Mandelwerk's entry this year(highly unlikely).
brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »

Although I do take that coffee mug very, very seriously so I'll have to come up with something better than Mandelwerk's entry this year(highly unlikely).

yup, me too I took it seriously- so you will understand my frustration of having lost last year to somebody with a significant lower average score, only because he had more people voting for him.
I took the opportunity to propose using averages in stead of totals as well, but to no avail. The 'single 5 star vote' arguments seems to be completely missing the point, since there hasn't been any entry with just one vote in the last couple of years.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »

so, what shall we do? change voting system ? NOW ? use the average for entries with more than e.g. five votes ?

---

pjt33
Forums Newbie

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »

I ran my image through ImageMagick before reuploading, and it worked fine. Advice for other people who are thinking of submitting: check that your image doesn't have an alpha channel. That's my best guess as to why the thumbnail came out weird first time.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »

ok, we do it the following way, since i have some money to spare, i am thinking about making 2 top list, one based on average, and one based on total ratings, and each 1st placed is considered receiver for the prices wink

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »

so, what shall we do? change voting system ? NOW ? use the average for entries with more than e.g. five votes ?

Technically, you have until the voting begins to decide on a final process   educated

ok, we do it the following way, since i have some money to spare, i am thinking about making 2 top list, one based on average, and one based on total ratings, and each 1st placed is considered receiver for the prices wink

That sort of works, but I still prefer forcing everybody who enters to vote for every submitted image or be disqualified!  I make it a rule for myself to rate very image as I believe that if somebody joins in, they  deserve some sort of feedback, even just a single star if the image is  ...  unappealing.

The other option which I like, and the one I see in almost every 3D Art Contest I have ever been exposed to, is no voting at all!!  Winners are decided privately by a Judge, or panel of Judges, usually consisting of the sponsors or those contributing prizes along with those in charge of whatever site is hosting the contest.

Not sure how either of those would go over with the group, but they are how nearly all professional contests are run  (and yes, I know we are hardly "Professionals" - but why let facts get in the way of things?).

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »

I ran my image through ImageMagick before reuploading, and it worked fine. Advice for other people who are thinking of submitting: check that your image doesn't have an alpha channel. That's my best guess as to why the thumbnail came out weird first time.

Glad you got it sorted out!

I think I have uploaded images with alpha before, so it may have just been a glitch.  They happen...

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »

Speaking of glitches, is it allowed to fix glitches after the submission time has expired? I hope it does not happen to anyone but what if there is a glitch in an uploaded video. Is it allowed to rerender and upload a fixed version (after 31th of may) as long as it is just to fix the glitch and not to change the colouring or other features in the video itself? And if it is posted on the same page of the bugged video to prove only glitches were fixed?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:25:32 AM by Toofgib » Logged

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »

Speaking of glitches, is it allowed to fix glitches after the submission time has expired? I hope it does not happen to anyone but what if there is a glitch in an uploaded video. Is it allowed to rerender and upload a fixed version (after 31th of may) as long as it is just to fix the glitch and not to change the colouring or other features in the video itself? And if it is posted on the same page of the bugged video to prove only glitches were fixed?

You can always post anything you like in the comments of your own gallery posts, contest or not!

We will gladly do as we did above for anyone  (delete an entry so they can re-post) before the submission period ends if there is just cause  (fixing errors or the like) - but after the submission period ends such updates would be limited to the comments area.

I think...

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »

You can always post anything you like in the comments of your own gallery posts, contest or not!

We will gladly do as we did above for anyone  (delete an entry so they can re-post) before the submission period ends if there is just cause  (fixing errors or the like) - but after the submission period ends such updates would be limited to the comments area.

I think...

Ok thanks.

I think for after the submission period comment-updates are a good alternative. But it was just to ask if it would follow the rules.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: