Logo by mrob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 10:33:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Announcement: 9th Annual Fractal Art Competition 2016  (Read 22177 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

After possibly a painstakingly thorough analysis of all voting data since the competition was first ran, I came across the alarming fact that the good images are consistently winners, that there is a definite bias in the voting system towards the good stuff...

Wait...

Good images are usually the winners?

Bias?  HERE??

Can't be.

I wish I noticed that trend before...

I'd have submitted good stuff all along   afro

And Caleidoscope - I believe I sense a tiny bit of Sarcasm in mclarekin's post   wink

EDIT - we posted at the same time!

im not interested in giving people bad ratings, so i just pick a handful of favorites and give them five stars and call it a day.  i imagine im not the only one who does it like that

So it was only partly sarcasm?  Or is my own Sarcalepsy  (uncontrollable Sarcasm!)  (my favorite imaginary disease!!)  (I made it up myself!)  tainting my judgment?

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2016, 03:08:06 PM »

I know wink  I'm very fond of Maclarekin  kiss   and a bit of fun, a bit of sarcasm and a bit of teasing, all part of the game so I give all of you a digital beer  A Beer Cup  A Beer Cup A Beer Cup
(it is hot and damp down here in the Netherlands so...you get thirsty  A Beer Cup )

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2016, 01:22:51 AM »

@ Sockratease     Sarcalepsy LOL

Yes I was having fun, BUT with an element of truth.  My last years voting system :-

void VotingSystem(in.image, out.vote)
   if( not classed as "clearly above average" image)   vote =  ***;    // minimum 3 starts for entering
   if(clearly equals 5 stars) vote = *****;
   else vote = ****;

I had to speed up my voting, because over at Mandelbulber Mega_Multinational Inc I only get a 20 minute "lunch" break half way through my 16 hour coding shifts (8 days a week),

SO,  a faster voting system may allow/encourage more people to vote, and the 3 stars reward for entering reflects the  fun community nature of the competition.  Oops my 20 minutes is up, and the boss man  will be back with his cattle prodder
Fitz
Explorer

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:44 AM »

I noticed that the Youtube embed on the forums only allowed to you watch it up to 720p so I tried to edit in a comment and now it got moved out of the film category. It's just sitting at the bottom of all the other categories and I can't figure out how to move it back.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2016, 07:50:13 AM »

No problem, Ive moved it back to the right section.
Its kind of a strange situation. Normal members can't move their picture. I guess one of the moderators might have made a mistake. Or maybe theres a system preventing edits in the voting period. huh? that would be strange though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:04:48 AM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Spain2points
Navigator

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »

Is there someone who could translate the contest information to Spanish and would be willing to do that?

Hi, I could do it, but maybe it's too late already.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »

Hi, I could do it, but maybe it's too late already.
Thanks for the offer. But yes, a bit late.

It doesn't matter. wink we haven't had any problems involving other languages after that post.

Thanks again. smiley

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
weezy136
Forums Newbie

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2016, 06:20:00 PM »

I see you are allowing really large images. Just want you to know I can't see them, and scrolling doesn't help. Hard to vote on something you can't see. Don't suppose there's any way you could open these somehow so they could be viewed?
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »

a lot of the ones in the mandelbrot category get screwed up by the huge lines of text for the location information in the description, it took me a bit to realize i had to scroll sideways a bunch just to see some of the images, and the browser kinda slows down and chokes on the whole deal..

though ive also had it where the server seems to just not want to send the image..
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2016, 07:47:07 PM »

the problem with the huge text lines should have been fixed a month ago, some images are huge, yes, scaling using the browser scale methods helps ctrl +/-

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »

Hmm.. I thought I had gone through the images to add code-tags where needed to make the changes to the code-tag usefull and every page readable.

What browser do you use?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:49:53 PM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »

Christian, could you enable the normal site banner now that we have voted? Looking at these is nice but a bit more variation would be nice. smiley

Edit: 512, woo! grin

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »

Christian, could you enable the normal site banner now that we have voted? Looking at these is nice but a bit more variation would be nice. smiley

Edit: 512, woo! grin

done

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »

Thank you.

Edit: Some banners seem to disappear. See attachment.

* no banner.PNG (53.4 KB, 999x354 - viewed 629 times.)

Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »

Same here. Most pages show no banner  cry

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: