Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 04:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Announcement: 9th Annual Fractal Art Competition 2016  (Read 21009 times)
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 12:35:15 AM »

Another feedback after looking at some of the images in this years "main section" (=Deep Exploration Mandelbrot): it seems pointless to me in terms of "competition". So, no doubt, it is a nice show case of some deep zooms, but for me it would impossible to "judge" about them. Or is simply deeper = better (no pun intended as it would be too obvious)?
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2016, 07:41:36 AM »

You could look at it technically but if you don't want to you could simply look at them and judge them by how you think they look.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »

Indeed, the purpose is to explore the deep, and structures found there have higher details and stuff in them, at the ens of the day its just your personal taste

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Adistu
Forums Newbie

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »

Maybe this is a silly question... but how can you vote? Today should be the start of the voting period... I tried to find the button, I'm new here thanks smiley
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »

Maybe this is a silly question... but how can you vote? Today should be the start of the voting period... I tried to find the button, I'm new here thanks smiley

Adistu, I think they wait until the time table worldwide will be 1 June. (or maybe I'm stupid wink  To give everyone a fair change in uploading their entry for the competition. The button will be the same as always the stars.  So when the competition is officially close you can vote by giving stars to the ones you like best from 1-5 stars.    Enjoy this annual Fractal Feast !!  smiley

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »

So, strictly speaking, being that I'm in the UK and we are GMT, it should have been at midday today my time, or an hour before.  I don't think we should begrudge an extra few hours though for those who maybe couldn't upload earlier.

Just bear in mind that entries that have only just been made will not be so remembered as those made a few days or weeks ago, so may be at a disadvantage being posted so late.

I look forward to voting, and I hope I don't make the mistake this year of following a link to another gallery then spending an hour and a half voting on pictures that weren't even in the competition.  I will be paying more attention this year

rolling on floor laughing

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »

yay, please bare with me i can only make this working when concentrating to it, it might take until weekend when voting is working, i try to find a little time for it tonight and send out a voting newsletter on weekend

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2016, 10:06:10 PM »

So, strictly speaking, being that I'm in the UK and we are GMT, it should have been at midday today my time, or an hour before.  I don't think we should begrudge an extra few hours though for those who maybe couldn't upload earlier.
Just bear in mind that entries that have only just been made will not be so remembered as those made a few days or weeks ago, so may be at a disadvantage being posted so late.
I look forward to voting, and I hope I don't make the mistake this year of following a link to another gallery then spending an hour and a half voting on pictures that weren't even in the competition.  I will be paying more attention this year

rolling on floor laughing
Exactly, we should not be rigid and especially with video for I think that the time you know on what criteria the movie should be (horrible English I know, I'm sorry)  and the time given for a really stunning display of the art you are capable off, can not or very difficult be done in just a few weeks.  Maybe we should be so flexible as to put the challenge idea and parameters more early than just the fractal art.  That is a lot less time-consuming then a video...?
just an idea to give more credit and possibilities to those amazing people that can make such incredible art.  We really should cherish them is my simple opinion.

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2016, 01:06:45 AM »

I always go through all three galleries, starting from the first item, with the "next" button, to review them all and vote once the voting period starts. So it doesn't affect my vote when an entry was made, as I see it, either for the first time or again, right before voting on it. Do others not do likewise when voting?

quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2016, 01:47:10 AM »

agreed  smiley
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »

I always go through all three galleries, starting from the first item, with the "next" button, to review them all and vote once the voting period starts. So it doesn't affect my vote when an entry was made, as I see it, either for the first time or again, right before voting on it. Do others not do likewise when voting?
Me too, I'm gonna  take all the time I want and need to go through all the pictures and make a first selection for the very best and check it again and then I rate them from 1 to 5 stars.  The same with the video's I look at them at least twice more.  It is all so very high quality that is a difficult compo but a great Fractal feast smiley  I enjoy it. 

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2016, 08:39:11 PM »

Me too, I'm gonna  take all the time I want and need to go through all the pictures and make a first selection for the very best and check it again and then I rate them from 1 to 5 stars.  The same with the video's I look at them at least twice more.  It is all so very high quality that is a difficult compo but a great Fractal feast smiley  I enjoy it.

I have always felt that every image should be voted upon by everyone also.  Anyone who takes the time to make an entry deserves at least *some* feedback, even if it is just a single star rating.

However, each year many images get far fewer (or far more) votes than others.  In the past I suggested a way to help with that by requiring all participants to rate every entry in whatever category (or categories) they post any (entry or entries).  Any Artist who does not vote on each entry in whatever section(s) they entered would have their work disqualified.

This seems a reasonable "entry fee" to me, but it was shot down in discussion.  But time has passed, and maybe opinions have changed.  If others like this idea, we can consider using it next year.

The arguments against it may have been valid.  Some thought it would be too difficult to confirm for our staff  (which may well be true - I am not well versed in php and am unsure how complicated it would be to write a script to check that).

So we just strongly encourage all participants  (and all members who did not make any entries) to please rate every entry in each category if your schedule does not prohibit it!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »

Is there a pure voting view of the entries?
thumbnail on left, stars to select on right ... it would make the voting process so much easier than opening 167 posts.

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2016, 09:32:32 PM »

Is there a pure voting view of the entries?
thumbnail on left, stars to select on right ... it would make the voting process so much easier than opening 167 posts.

Sadly, no.

This gallery was not designed with competitions in mind and has many shortfalls from what would be ideal if we could design our own   sad

What you say is one reason voting remains open for a whole month.  I just do a few a day and they get done.

On the bright side, it is hard to rate a detailed image from a thumbnail, so there is that one point in favor of going through them all post by post.  But I do understand your frustration and wish we could do so much more to make this gallery more suitable for such competitions.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for your participation!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »

i was actually just thinking the opposite, that anyone who submits an entry for a category should not vote in that category, as their self interest would bias their motivation for rating?  also the idea of giving every entry a rating seems like a not ideal approach?  lots of entries wouldnt really deserve less than a high rating, so if you were being honest you would probably end up giving similar high ratings to lots of entries.  given that most entries will probably be good, but the goal is still to select a winner or a couple of winners, it seems like maybe a better approach would be to have everyone select a #1, #2, #3, or something like that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: