Logo by CorneliaYoder - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 05:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 8th Annual Fractal Art Competition 2015 - Announcement  (Read 19605 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: April 30, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Fractalforums.com
8th Annual Fractal Art Competition 2015

Fractalforums.com is holding our "Annual Fractal Art Contest" for the 8th time in row in the year of 2015.

Prizes are, as every year, winning images printed on coffee cups.

Statement regarding voting system:
 everything stays as it was in the year before, the total sum of gained
stars in the voting process are the one and only thing relevant for the final outcome. We are aware that the process
is not perfect. A voting system needs a whole rewriting of the whole process of the participating/voting for that
where simply no resources available to create a voting/gallery system with a special voting system. Presumably the
voting system will be changed at the 10th birthday of the competition, perhaps we will have found a sponsor by then as well...
Read below for a detailed description of current system.

The most important link for the compo comes first, the gallery is where everything takes place, uploading
and voting. This is the link to the gallery section:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=108

Official Sponsor for this years contest is (again) : NO ONE, everything related prize giving and prize sending is
handled by the administrator alone, a very long delay has to be accepted for prize receiving, due to this
only the first placed entries in each section will get a prize. But remember, being part of it is all that counts!

Time Schedule
- Submission Period begins on 1st of May at 00:00 Central European Time
- Submission Period ends on 31st of May at 23:59:59 Central European Time
- Voting Period begins on 1st of June at 00:00:00 Central European Time
- Voting Period ends on 30st of June at 23:59:59 Central European Time

Rules:

*new, not obligatory*
Please sign your work, by placing the text "fractalforums.com Annual Fractal Art Contest 2015" inside your production
you state crystal clear that you have produced it especially for the contest, and future viewers of the product will have
a straight time location from when the product was produced. This was originally meant to be obligatory from the administrator
but has been rejected by the admin people who thought that it would restrict artistic liberty too much, so make the admin happy and include it!

As every year, a contributor may enter up to 3 entries in each section of the competition,
so every contributor may enter up to 9 total competition entries.

The Competition is (as always) split up into 3 sections, which are this year "Film","Still Frame Wildstyle" and
as varying section we have this year the "Still Frame Black&White" section.

It is desirable to publish "new" stuff in the contest, do not bore us with already known stuff. Anything
already competing in another contest, or somehow already known to a wider public is unwanted. The
administration team for the contest is not strictly excluding anything from the contest
so it is up to you to either bore us to death or come up with inspiring new work. It would be to hard
to verify every entry by hand, so nothing will be disqualified, but keep in mind that something already
known wont get any votes ...

The whole voting and submission is done in the gallery. This year - for the first time - video submission are submitted
by using the "Enter Video" feature of the current gallery, most of popular video hosting sites are included.

Remarks
Remark about the voting System
The winner is determined by the total sum of stars. Which means that a single 5 star vote can not outnumber
for example an entry with two 3 star ratings. Although there was an effort to introduce a new voting counting
system, it will stay this way for this year - and presumably until 10th anniversary of the contest.

Remark about Time Schedule
Time scheduling caused confusion, due to contestants spread over the whole world, each of the schedules is
a "soft" schedule, especially the entry time. If you come up with your entry half a day late ( but no more than a day),
it is perfectly fine. Consider that entries which are longer in the view of reviewers have a better impact, and that
later entered entries might get overlooked.

Remark about Voting System
During the time of the submission period and the voting period the display of view counts and current voting is
globally disabled in the gallery.

Remark about Gallery File Sizes and Dimension
The hosting package for the website is now at maximum, the allowed image sizes have been incread immensely,
now 5000x5000 pixels and a file size of 25 megabytes is now enabled for uploads

The Competition is split up into 3 sections:

Competition Sections
Still Frame Wildstyle
The still frame section allows submission of any image without any restrictions, photography,
layering, post works, painting. Express your feelings through an image. Attenuate Details, make
use of modern image editing software to get the most out of your image. Single Click and render images
might not be enough to become even recognized this year! Let your mind flow to create something new!

Still Frame Wildstyle Gallery section
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=109

Still Frame Black&White
The third section is always trying out new things, but this year we make it fairly easy. Create a fractal image
utilizing only black and white colors. The full gradient from black to white may be used, but no colors other than Black, White, and Grey. Again let your creativity flow, make use of the restriction the create something stunning and never seen before.

Still Frame Black&White Gallery section
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=111

Film
in the film section (long) fractal videos are accepted. Let your creativity flow,
Use Voxel Stack exports to bring the Fractals into your favorite 3D Program. Use a camera tracker
to place Fractal Objects in real film recordings. Create a stunning soundtrack that is perfectly
synchronized to the film. Use Sound Syncing fractal rendering software that is nowadays available (jwildfire)
Your creative mind might need an extension for this. This is the champions league of fractal art!

The film section now requires that you include the following text in the intro/outro of your production:
"Fractalforums.com Annual Fractal Art Competition 2015"
this is for specially recognizing it as competition entry.

include greetings as you like greeting other fractalists is a nice way showing we are alive

Film Gallery Section:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=110
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:43:57 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Gregoryno6
Alien

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:19:09 AM »

I just noticed that the gallery is misbehaving with making threads in the forum for images in the gallery.

It made one for an image I submitted, but not for the one submitted before mine.  Not sure why, but posting to let people know we are aware and looking into it...

I don't work on the gallery, so I am informing those who do work on it. 

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »

Regarding the voting system; lest there be any doubt about this point, I want to make this clear to everybody that competes so the odds are even:
If you compete in a section, you can improve your chances to win massively by not voting at all. I have explained last year why this is so.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »

I just noticed that the gallery is misbehaving with making threads in the forum for images in the gallery.

It made one for an image I submitted, but not for the one submitted before mine.  Not sure why, but posting to let people know we are aware and looking into it...

I don't work on the gallery, so I am informing those who do work on it. 

what do you mean ?! seems to work now or? posting a thread for the submitted image

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »

Regarding the voting system; lest there be any doubt about this point, I want to make this clear to everybody that competes so the odds are even:
If you compete in a section, you can improve your chances to win massively by not voting at all. I have explained last year why this is so.

Improve chances, yes.  But not enormously.

The bigger thing it does is prove you are not participating in the spirit of the contest and are acting out of pure selfishness!

I tries to make it a requirement that every entrant rate every entry or be disqualified - but that was deemed too much work to check up on.

I still feel it is the best answer, but it is what it is and if people choose to be selfish and try things to thwart others - there is not much we can do about that.  Every system can be expolited, so I suggest not worrying about it and just enjoy the contest focusing more on having fun that winning by trying to influence the ratings system!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
brasnacte
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »

The bigger thing it does is prove you are not participating in the spirit of the contest and are acting out of pure selfishness!

Maybe this should then be clarified- nowhere does it state that you're supposed to vote when participating. There are good reasons to assume previous year's winners have gamed the system as described, they feel like they're doing nothing wrong since they're playing by the rules.

*EDIT*
but that was deemed too much work to check up on.

You don't have to check up on everybody. Only the winners need to be checked. Very simple to implement and the message is clear.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:10:05 PM by brasnacte » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:49:40 PM »

yes, the idea is to vote, (later: and the future system will be based on a 1..10 ranking, that each user has to create, and fill every position, but its as it is for now).

---

lapinot
Alien

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »

Can't seem to post in the contest categories either. I can't find the 'Still Frame Wildstyle'/etc... categories in the dropdown box, only 'Annual fractal art competition 2015 promo'.

Am I doing it wrong ?
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 12:36:38 AM »

I'm also confused and was not able uploaded my first image. A category is required, but no categories are available for this competition.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 01:06:24 AM »

ok, sorry for starting problem, will check the categories with "normal" account now

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 01:15:30 AM »

ok, as always there was a visibility issue from parent category, it is now fixed and the category is preselected when you use "add picture" sorry for inconvenience  police

---

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 01:27:46 AM »

No problem, thanks for fixing, I will now retry :-)
lapinot
Alien

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »

nice  embarrass omw to upload my pics then  afro
lapinot
Alien

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »

I tries to make it a requirement that every entrant rate every entry or be disqualified - but that was deemed too much work to check up on.

Why not force participants to vote at least 3 times in each category they published ? And I mean 3 times not including one's own piece of art  wink

Would it be technically difficult to implement ?

EDIT: Well I found the answer in the OP introduction :smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:59:18 AM by lapinot » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: