Logo by jwm-art - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 09:02:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Big Render bug - wrong colors  (Read 2999 times)
Description: When i render an image in a tiled resolution it changes the colors
mondaymorninglunatic
Alien

« on: September 04, 2011, 03:20:24 AM »

Hey there,

I wanted to make very huge render image. I made a sample for how it schall look. Notice the bright blue color of the structures: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/samplee.png/

The tiles but then have different colors: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/bigrender4x04y01.png/

the project File is this: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30168981/ikosa_box_surface_20k_8x8_test_test.big
Try out the parameters with a normal size resolution. It should look like the sample.

why is that so?
Am I doing something wrong?
And btw does anyone like to help me rendering the whole thing? smiley

please help!
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »

Looks like a bug, maybe related to floating point number precision and DEAO. After setting "size factor" to 20 and 30 instead of 40, it have given "correct" result.
Nice rendering smiley. If you want it to be more detailed, uncheck "Scale DEstop to keep color and detail level". You can also set a higher "raystep multiplier" (0.5 or even higher values) to speed it up a little bit.
mondaymorninglunatic
Alien

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:17:25 AM »

oh thank you!
I will try that out.
right now my pc is busy. I am rendering an 1080p animation around that same thing. A friend is also helping me to render the frames. We also made a little vvvv-patch to get statistics. Who's pc is faster and stuff. Very funny. When the animation is ready i will show here.

and the rendering. Well it is an ikosahedron formula (iteration count 2) with an amazing box formula (iteration count 1) afterwards. it's pretty cool for it creates ikosahedron-ish shapes that are never repeating. I guess its because icosahedrons and boxes don't fit really. You should try it out - i got some amazing renderings with it.
( i don't really like tooo smooth and round fractals, because fractals are too often just round.)

some renders from that formula combination:
http://shapesforthoughts.tumblr.com/

click on the images, they're relatively highres.
(i also have the real-hires pictures somewhere on my computer if there's interest)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »

Hi mondaymorninglunatic,

can you just attach the *.big file to one of your postings, because the downloading does not work for me!

Maybe i can figure out then what is the problem with this, thx...
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »

can you just attach the *.big file to one of your postings, because the downloading does not work for me!

I just added .big to the list of allowed file extensions, so it should work if anybody wants to try.  Those are small parameter files, not huge image-bearing files, right?  I never tried one so don't know.  Either way the file size limitations of the forum's attachments still apply.

Hope that helps.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »

I just added .big to the list of allowed file extensions, so it should work if anybody wants to try.  Those are small parameter files, not huge image-bearing files, right?  I never tried one so don't know.  Either way the file size limitations of the forum's attachments still apply.

Hope that helps.

Ah yes, did not thought about file extension restrictions, but it could always be zipped if it would fail otherwise.

The 'big' files are just the parameters with some additional values, really short.

Thank you Sockratease!  A Beer Cup
mondaymorninglunatic
Alien

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:40:54 PM »

here is the file.

i retried it in the meantime with a global resolution of 10,000x10,000 pixels. there is no bug with the colors.
very strange.

* ikosa box surface 20k 8x8 test test.big (2.18 KB - downloaded 147 times.)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »

Thank you, i will have a look at it.

In the meanwhile, have you tried a tile more from the middle of the image if this is that dark too?
Because the left upper corner is very dark... (of course there could be problems with the ambient shadows or the dynamic fog anyways, can't say it yet)
mondaymorninglunatic
Alien

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 03:45:36 AM »

yes i tried different tilings tiles (what is the right word for that?).
It's all dark.

I just now tried a completely different rendering and i had the same bug when switching to 20.000x20.000 global resolution.
very strange.

ah btw. main renderding and hard shadows looked all normal. But when the ambient shadows were rendered the colors went bad.
Seems like the ambient shadows is the problem with very huge resolutions.
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »

You are right, it is the ambient occlusion!
To limit the calculation length for the DEAO i calculate somewhere: Sqrt(Sqr(width) + Sqr(height))
but did not recognized that up to the sqrt all is calculated as integer, so if
Sqr(width) + Sqr(height) becomes bigger or equal then 2^31 there is an overflow.

For a square image format, 32767 would be max for width and for height (excluding aa, so multiply the big render sizes with aa).
 sad

I try to get the update as soon as possible online.
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »

32768^2 gives 1Gigapixel and it's still not enought!?  grin evil tease

MML: very nice rederings! I'm sure you'll find blobs' Eye candys interresting. wink
mondaymorninglunatic
Alien

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »

wow they're cool!
btw when i couldn't render the actual image i rendered an animation of the same thing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-2MVyQzEj2M&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-2MVyQzEj2M&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

there's a 720p version also available soon on vimeo. (made the vid about a 100 bits/s to big so i have to encode a new version).

i also have a 1080p version if there is interest.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:26:40 AM by mondaymorninglunatic » Logged
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »

Think i forgot a THANK YOU  A Beer Cup, mondaymorninglunatic, for this bug report.
Else it would not be possible to get rid of these issues, one person has not the time to test all possibilities.

Nice video too!
mondaymorninglunatic
Alien

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »

thank YOU! Now I can go on rendering my huge picture cheesy

and yeah i also like th video. Still a bit short unfortunately. Maybe there will be a longer one later.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: