Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 03:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Two Entries In Wrong Area  (Read 9195 times)
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« on: April 30, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »

Instead of adding their images to the appropriate sub-category under the current competition, they were entered in under the main competition group:

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=36

FractalWoman's AquaBuddha
   http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2144

Bent-Winged Angel's SPIRITS IN THE NIGHT
   http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2167

Tried to Move them, but does not seem to be a way to do that.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:15:46 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »

have you pm'ed them ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:39:54 AM »

I'd suggest Trifox simply move them (which he should be able to do as root). The Buddhabrot into either Fractal Fun or Mandelbrot and the other into Mandelbrot.

In the meantime I've noticed a few issues elsewhere:

1. Someone entered six images or so into the same area. Moving some to another category where they fit may be kinder than disqualifying them all.

2. Some of the ones in the Mandelbrot character appear to be multilayer or misplaced. Again, they might be better moved than disqualified, if their authors don't have too many already in another category.

3. Sometime last night or early this morning someone apparently gave nearly everything one-star ratings for no apparent logical reason.

4. The rules for the Mandelbrot category are slightly vague. "Color schemes can not overexagerate[sic]!"? If a similar category is used in the future I suggest a simple restriction: z2 + c (or maybe zn + c?), solid inside color (any solid color), and outside color must be a consistent map of smoothed iteration value to color-space. (Integer iteration based coloring, and solid outside coloring, are special cases of this.) Perhaps even have two categories like this, one for deepzooms and one for shallow zooms/any location.

Just my opinion of course.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »

It's a bit late to change the Mandelbrot rules, but those with too many entries should be given the chance to delete or move the extras, else I'd suggest keeping only the first 3, and deleting the rest.

As for our mystery "One Star Rater" - I can assure you it was not malicious!  I looked, and it is a trusted, long-standing member.  Just one with very discerning tastes and who has seen quite a lot.  It's not easy to impress that person   shocked   I assume that the voting is supposed to be anonymous, so I'll leave it at that...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »

i am kinda in holiday, you have a list of these 2xtriple entries ? police

---

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:57:46 AM »

I can't now find six by one author in one area, oddly enough. But I found four by "gandreas" in Mandelbrot with only one by him in Fractal Fun, so I suggest moving one of his four Mandelbrot Entries to Fractal Fun, where he has "room for two more" within the rules.

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »

It's a bit late to change the Mandelbrot rules

Obviously. I meant to suggest that those rules be used next time there's such a category.

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:41:42 AM »

2. Some of the ones in the Mandelbrot character appear to be multilayer or misplaced. Again, they might be better moved than disqualified, if their authors don't have too many already in another category.

Maybe...but also maybe you underestimate what it's possible to do in UF within only 1 layer using coloring classes.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »

have you pm'ed them ?

Nope, do not like using the Forum's PM function.  (Which is why I usually ignore messages sent to me through that means).    grin

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »

1. Someone entered six images or so into the same area. Moving some to another category where they fit may be kinder than disqualifying them all.

I can't now find six by one author in one area, oddly enough.

That is because there was not six entered altogether by a single person in one category.  What you saw was six entries being made by the same person, one right after another.  But, they were three in Mandelbrot and three in the Fun sections.

At first glance it just appeared to be all in one area.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »

2. Some of the ones in the Mandelbrot character appear to be multilayer or misplaced.
Again, they might be better moved than disqualified, if their authors don't have too
many already in another category. 

One problem here is that we would need to demand the parameter file to verify such a claim.

The other problem is that the rules did not say anything about using the equivalent of "special effects" plug-ins on the single layered Mandelbrot image.  Something that the UF graphic editor is famous for.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »

3. Sometime last night or early this morning someone apparently gave
nearly everything one-star ratings for no apparent logical reason.

Their logic and reasoning is definitely not the same as what you might have, since you were unable to fathom it.

But it could be something as simple as feeling that everybody that made an entry deserved at least a single star for their effort, instead of some not getting any at all.

Or maybe they would rather not show a lot of favoritism to specific images, people, or applications used.  (Though there will be a lot of that going on anyway, seeing how many non-contributing Members, some that have not logged on in many months, have now logged in again for the voting process.)    evil

Or it could be some other reason that only they feel is apparently logical.    grin

And besides, I do believe it is their right to vote as they see fit, and not have somebody try and control what, how, and why they vote.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:57:10 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »

4. The rules for the Mandelbrot category are slightly vague. "Color schemes can not overexagerate[sic]!"? If a similar category is used in the future I suggest a simple restriction: z2 + c (or maybe zn + c?), solid inside color (any solid color), and outside color must be a consistent map of smoothed iteration value to color-space. (Integer iteration based coloring, and solid outside coloring, are special cases of this.) Perhaps even have two categories like this, one for deepzooms and one for shallow zooms/any location.

It's a bit late to change the Mandelbrot rules

Obviously. I meant to suggest that those rules be used next time there's such a category.

The conditions and/or rules have been posted for public viewing since March 25, 2010.  There was plenty of time to make such suggestions at the beginning of the competition.  Why wait until it is too late to come forward with these observations ??

Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »

The conditions and/or rules have been posted for public viewing since March 25, 2010.  There was plenty of time to make such suggestions at the beginning of the competition.  Why wait until it is too late to come forward with these observations ??

Let me repeat this one more time. I was suggesting something that might be tried next year. Obviously it's too late to change anything like that this year -- so anyone apparently thinking I meant this year either is insulting my intelligence or is insulting their own, I'm not sure which.

And do I detect a note of hostility toward me in a couple of your other posts in this sudden blitzkrieg you've launched in this thread today?

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:44:20 PM »

hey, these suggestions will be taken into account ( next year wink ),
and i have stated in another thread that it is a fun competition with relatively "low" prices
i think we have sorted out some wrong posts, thank you all for contributing!

---

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: