Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 03:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Animated textures? 3D textures?  (Read 1150 times)
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« on: December 20, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »

Hi there,

I wonder if it is possible to at all to use animated textures?
I.e load a sequence of images into a texture or literally a movie?

Currently I'm getting around that using loading images on 'per frame' basis. That's cool for rendering, but not necessarily for previewing.

The second question, I think I've heard somewhere about full 3D textures in OpenGL. Anybody heard something?
Would that be possible to have these in shaders?

I am thinking along the lines of rendering some pointcloud data, saving into texture sequences and then making use of that stuff in Frag.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »

yes I demonstrated that very idea to you and provided a script that did it, and instructions.
I found the thread for you http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=21985.msg86050#msg86050
the rest is up to you...

...and yes, 3D textures are very do-able but I'm going to have to let you spin on that for a while wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »

just thinking out loud here...

the limit per sequence would be the number of layers in a 3D texture and image size would be the maximum 3D texture XY dimension, in the case of my hardware that would be 2048 @ 2048x2048 layers in sequence for playback.

need to read folder full of images into a single 3D texture or into a list of 2D textures and figure out a nice way to represent this in the parser and fragment code, the time tick can address the sequence in the frag, 2D textures would not have the same limitations as 3D textures

I am thinking along the lines of rendering some pointcloud data, saving into texture sequences and then making use of that stuff in Frag.

pointcloud can be a simple pos+color elements list and no texture needed, why not just load the pointcloud into frag space?

where does the pointcloud data come form?
how does point cloud data get saved to texture sequence?
what is the desired effect or purpose?

I have been thinking of this and the only issue I have with it is how does this help me explore fractals  huh?

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »

Yeah, you're probably right.
If it's not there and if it requires coding handling pointclouds data can be perhaps done in an easier way - i.e. Reading directly from the file. Pointclouds are easy - apart from the proprietary formats, all you need is read a csv-like ascii format and provide some way of mapping fields.

Simplest pointclouds data is xyzi data with I being intensity.
What would be cooler though would be being able to create a 3D Tex in frag, render a fractal into it and write to pointclouds.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »

that might be a whole other program with different functionality than Fragmentarium

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: