Logo by kr0mat1k - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Calculation optimal settings  (Read 3416 times)
Description: Setting the best possible variables.
mario837
Iterator

mario837

« on: August 11, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »

One of the sections of MB3D that produces me (probably to some others) the most confusion is the 'Calculation' settings.
The only clear variable to me is the DE Stop: lower it and you get more details.  Increase it and the image begins to fatten in some way.  So, the usual Menger3 you get with DE Stop=1 turns into sort of an irregular ball with this same value increased to 100.
Now, for the remaining 7 values we have the help legends that gives some direction of its impact but no precise indication of when to check or uncheck one of them or the range which is the best compromise between quality and render time, nor the limit that some of them may have.  On the latter, I have read recently that Stepcount for binary search is not very useful over 12 and Smooth normals doesn't need higher than 3.
I include below an acronym of each so to facilitate reference.
DES = DE Stop
VoFOV = Vary DE stop on FOV
RSM = Raystep multiplier
SWL= Stepwidth limiter
SBS = Stepcount for binary search
SN = Smooth normals
NDE = Normals on DE
FSR = First step random

Any idea wil be more than welcome!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

The last person that knew the answer was an old monk, he lived all his life alone and died 500 years ago. Sorry for that! shocked cheesy

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »

The last person that knew the answer was an old monk, he lived all his life alone and died 500 years ago. Sorry for that! shocked cheesy

Yep, that was me in my previous life  Azn

All i can say is that i begin with high Stepwidth multiplier + limiter and decrease the multiplier until overstepping seems ok, on problem formulas like inverse thingies reducing the limiter also tested.
On bigger pic i test certain parts also with postprocess->Recalc a selection and adjust these so that overstepping is just gone.
All with first step random on to see the random noise.
Normals on DE always turned on to get the normals of the surface, only if this seems to be a problem or for smooth effect turned off.

*monk gif not found*   suspious
mario837
Iterator

mario837

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »

Yep, that was me in my previous life  Azn

suspious

Thank you DarkBeam for pointing to Jesse who  fortunately is safely reborn and far from the monastery.

O K !! It seems that trial and error will continue to be the method to use.

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »

They said i need a couple of inkarnations more until i should ask again for letting me inside the monastery   cry
 A Beer Cup A Beer Cup
mario837
Iterator

mario837

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »

They said i need a couple of inkarnations more until i should ask again for letting me inside the monastery   cry
 A Beer Cup A Beer Cup

Well... better than be reborn as a snail. smiley
A Beer Cup  A Beer Cup 
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:24:27 PM »

Maybe one of these guys wink

http://classes.yale.edu/fractals/mandelset/mandelmonk/mandelmonk.html

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
mario837
Iterator

mario837

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »

Maybe one of these guys wink

http://classes.yale.edu/fractals/mandelset/mandelmonk/mandelmonk.html

Thank you David.  This is really impressive.  DarkBeam seems to have privileged information of the real origins of the 'Mandelbrot Set'... or should we call it the 'Udo Set' to be fair?

Anyway, that lead me to listen Carmina Burana.  I always loved it!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:25 AM »

You did of course notice the publish date ? cheesy
(Just in case anybody didn't)

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: