Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: optimal de-step factor  (Read 2999 times)
Description: automatic de-step allways very very low with mandelbox
Ike1970
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »

Good evening everyone,

Does anyone have an explanation why the program is returning such strange de-values when using a mandelbox?
When I use the new (great) function in mandelbulber to detect the best de-step factor, the results are allways extremely low when using a mandelbox (1e-03 and similar).   But using such low values completely change the appearance of the image.

thanks a lot,
Ike
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »

Could you attach settings file for which you get such a low DE step factors? I'm asking for it because in standard situations it gives values between 0.8 - 1.5

Ike1970
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »

hi buddhi,

i´ve attached a .fract file (hopefully).  On this one i have already let the software do the work - it came up with 0,0008.  What I changed in the parameters where the alpha rotation (to 199) and  folding limit (to 1,5).  All else remained the same.

take care and good night,

Ike

* branches_1.fract (9.15 KB - downloaded 212 times.)
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »

hi buddhi,

i´ve attached a .fract file (hopefully).  On this one i have already let the software do the work - it came up with 0,0008.  What I changed in the parameters where the alpha rotation (to 199) and  folding limit (to 1,5).  All else remained the same.

take care and good night,

Ike

This problem with very low DE factor is because of high rotation in Mandelbox formula. This rotation causes that distance estimation (and ray-marching) is completely not accurate, not continues and not linear. So for achieve good quality of image without oversteppings there is needed very low DE factor.

MarkJayBee
Fractal Fertilizer

Markjaybee Fractal Mark_Jay_Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »

On a related matter, buddhi; there may be a wee bug associated with the optimal DE
feature. On using it the resulting small test render was white. I discovered this was
because the program had also input the - very high - DE figure into the 'glow' field?!
This happened twice, so looks like there could be a glitch in there somewhere? surprised

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried in the first place.

http://markjaybeefractal.com/
http://mjb-graphics.co.uk/
http://deviantart.com/markjaybee/
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:10 PM »

On a related matter, buddhi; there may be a wee bug associated with the optimal DE
feature. On using it the resulting small test render was white. I discovered this was
because the program had also input the - very high - DE figure into the 'glow' field?!
This happened twice, so looks like there could be a glitch in there somewhere? surprised

It is my fault. It was not so good idea to connect glow intensity with DE factor. I did this because when DE factor is very low, then the intensity of glow sometimes is too high. I have to find some smarter way to connect these parameters.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: