Logo by MarkJayBee - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: run Almost any fractal program on mac !  (Read 16436 times)
Description: how to run any windows fractal program on mac
slock
Alien

« on: January 21, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

I everyone,
Last weeks I didn't had much time to work on mandelbulb 3D for mac, BUT since I don't think I'll have enough time for quite a long, I decided to share with you my testing program, it's basically a wrapper based on wine which can launch windows apps directly from Mac OS X, without bootcamp or any virtualization solution (eg VMWare, ...)
here is the link : https://rapidshare.com/files/3353493393/windows.app.zip
to install it, just unzip it, run it once and then right click on a windows executable (.exe file), read informations --> open with (select my program in the dropdown menu, you may have to manually point "windows.app" if it doesn't shows ) and finally click the button right under the dropdown menu.
now, just double click on any .exe file to run it. The method also works for .bat and .lnk (shortcuts) files

It works at least with ultra fractal 5 and mandelbulb 3d
Here you are wink

EDIT !
The new wrapper is here !
here is the link : http://www.mediafire.com/?25hx62lyywn18
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:20:21 PM by slock » Logged
slock
Alien

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:20:38 PM »

Ok, thank you smiley
if you need help to run a specific windows program on mac, just ask, I'll see what I can do
Unfortunatly I can't send the wrapper directly to the forum, the file is way to big (357 mo compressed, and it's the smallest I can do Sceptical )
THEMAN1138
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 03:12:48 AM »

please upload on a dif site, the website says you cant download it anymore
slock
Alien

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »

hi,
yes, I know about the recent problem with almost every filehost, I'll reupload it later on a different host, maybe filebay ? or maybe Rapidshare ? I don't know yet
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »

hi,
yes, I know about the recent problem with almost every filehost ...

obviously the panic after the megaupload close-down! hurt

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
slock
Alien

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »

ok, link updated, this should work now
scheven_architect
Alien

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »

This doesn't seem to work. I can't even make it the standard program to open the .exe sad

update: making it standard program does work but if i double click, windows multi launcher opens but mandelbulb doesn't

i have mac 10,6,8
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:57:31 AM by scheven_architect » Logged
slock
Alien

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »

hello !
this isn't normal, it should work
for now, just try to open windows multi launcher by double clicking on its icon, a windows explorer windows should pop up, then naviguate to mandelbulb (your mac hard drive is listed as z:/ in the windows explorer) and launch it from there, there is no reasons (I launched the last version of mandelbulb with it yesterday and ran a big render, it worked fine)
scheven_architect
Alien

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »

I just open windows multi launcher but nothing else pop ups and from within this 'program' i can't open anything :s
luc2
Forums Freshman

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »

First thanks a lot, slock, for the "window.app".

For me it work perfectly, nearly all softwares I tried open and run OK, I also give the link to some friends and they also have success with it.

I struggle with Parallels Desktop for years, personally I never like this software to much bugs and no support. Your solution is not perfect in all case but it'll help me to limit the use of window virtuallization to the rare occasions were your software don't work...

I get a funny bug with one of the fractal software I use time to time call; FlightFromFractal the software was create by a japanese artist, in window xp, 2000 and 95 it open normally and all the menus are in english but with your software many of the menus are unreadable it probably try to load the Japanese charset without success. I try to find how to make it open in English but for now no luck  smiley If you are curious about it here is the link for the software;

http://www.nahee.com/Software/FlightFromFractal.zip   

Excuse my English, it's not my natural language.
slock
Alien

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »

Hi,
I've looked the application and I think I've located the problem : In fact, wine lacks a few fonts from windows (legal issues) but this application tries to use a missing one, ordinary, wine's replacement font is enough, but for this app, the only replacement found was the webding font, which include the symbols you see, I'll try to figure out how to bypass the problem; anyway, I'm glad my little app helped wink
ps : your english is quite good wink (I'm french so english is not my natural language either)
luc2
Forums Freshman

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 03:02:03 AM »

Hi Slock,

You got it, I put the fonts I have in Window xp, in the font folder of Wine "et voila" the app load correctly now, thanks. 

slock
Alien

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »

well, I'm glad I helped, but as I said previously, for legal reason (and for size reason too) I can't put these fonts in my wrapper and upload it, but I'm still working on the new version, I think I'll release it rather soon
luc2
Forums Freshman

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »

Thank you very much for the new version "just a Glass".

The old version didn't work on one of my friend computer running lion, the new version now work.

This emulator is the most useful software I get in many years. Each time Parallels Desktop send a mail asking to buy an update I smile...   

vinniefracker
Forums Freshman

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »

I downloaded the "just a Glass" so what do I do with it javascript:void(0)? As you might have guessed I am completely new to this application and fractals.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: