Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:02:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: run Almost any fractal program on mac !  (Read 16727 times)
Description: how to run any windows fractal program on mac
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 11:33:41 PM »

I downloaded the "just a Glass" so what do I do with it? As you might have guessed I am completely new to this application and fractals.

Hi.

I use a mac, but refuse to upgrade past OSX 10.5 - Apple broke too many things with 10.6, and broke more with 10.7, and they're continuing the trend with 10.8 making too many programs useless for me to ever consider upgrading!  They really need to wake up to the Critical Importance of backward compatibility - even Micro$oft have "Compatibility Mode" for older programs, but apple feel they are not required to support such normal things as that.

I say that so you'll take my advice with a pillar of salt  afro

I use Mandelbulb3D all the time on my system, but I run it using Crossover, a paid version of WINE which is supposed to be better than the free version. 

It runs perfectly.

I suggest trying WINE, and if that fails consider Crossover  (it's around $40 US, but runs many Windoze Programs with no need for dual booting or having any version of Win-Anything installed).

Because I never had any problems with Crossover, I never tried this system to make stuff run on my mac. 

But as bib stated, WINE runs it fine under Linux, so there's no reason it should not do so under these crazy stupid newer OSX versions  (Yes, I'm upset with apple and venting here - just because!).

Hope that helps.

Good luck with it and Welcome to the forums  Elvis Presley

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
vinniefracker
Forums Freshman

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 12:11:49 AM »

Thanks. Are there instructions or do we just wing it?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »

Thanks. Are there instructions or do we just wing it?

Instructions for WINE?  Or Mandelbulb3D?

WINE, a WINdowsEmulator (even though they deny it!), can be had here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/ and instructions are probably easily found if it does not come with instructions.  With Crossover, it's just install, and then start the exe file of your choice.  If the program does not run with default settings, it prompts to "create a new bottle" and just try different types from the list until one works.  It remembers the choice for future uses, so I forget the exact details.

Instructions for Mandelbulb3D are tricky.  There are many tutorials out there, search youtube, deviant art, and even here!  It depends what you want to do - there are many topics for tutorials, ranging from the interface, to DIFS tricks,  to animation, to creating 3D Models using it's Voxel Stack feature and other programs!

Again, I hope that helps   afro

EDIT : Direct link to the mac version of WINE - http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/?source=recommended
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:39:48 AM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
vinniefracker
Forums Freshman

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »

Thanks again. For the moment I am just trying to get it running to try it out. Until I screw around with it I won't know if it is suitable for marriage.  javascript:void(0)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: