Logo by S Nelson - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 07:05:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Ferryman fractal program  (Read 7112 times)
PoniTechnics
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »

This program is developed by a friend named Span
FerryMan Fractal is a freeware program that generates fractal images. With FerryMan Fractal you can generate color images of the most popular fractal, the Mandelbrot set, and also generate images of the associated Julia sets. You can also generate an unlimited variety of fractal types based on rational functions, including fractals based on Newton's method and Halley's method.
FerryMan Fractal has many options for producing striking variations of fractal images, and includes a lot of advanced features for producing high-quality images.

NOTICE: You must create an account before using the program, although the software is totally free. And you must have an internet connection when starting up the program.Is a little tricky to made an account cose the site is in chinese but if you go on the menu and stay a little the description is in english.

The link to the english site : http://www.ferrymanfractal.com/
Here is one of tutorials created by me:http://www.websyters.com/video/2d3d-video-tutorials/viewvideo/14/fractal/ferryman-fractal-1layer
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »

NOTICE:  You must create an account before using the program, although the software is totally free.
And you must have an Internet connection when starting up the program.

The first part, about setting up an account, is not too bad, but there are several people that would shy away from the program based solely upon that aspect.

But the latter portion, where an Internet connection is required to even start up the program, this smacks of possible mal-ware, spy-ware, and other such obtrusive behaviors.  That will keep a lot of people from even wanting to try the program.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »

NOTICE:  You must create an account before using the program, although the software is totally free.
And you must have an Internet connection when starting up the program.

The first part, about setting up an account, is not too bad, but there are several people that would shy away from the program based solely upon that aspect.

But the latter portion, where an Internet connection is required to even start up the program, this smacks of possible mal-ware, spy-ware, and other such obtrusive behaviors.  That will keep a lot of people from even wanting to try the program.

Have to agree here.

My Art Computer is totally disconnected from the internet.  Never has, and never  will be, online.

I use junk computers for web surfing and downloading stuff to move over to the good computers (after scanning for problems!).

I guess I'll never get to try this one...

But as a wise man once said - "There are too many programs to try them all in one lifetime" and things like this help me narrow down my choices.

You should ask your friend why they feel this suspicious practice is necessary!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
PoniTechnics
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:52:17 AM »

I agree i will ask him cose i don't like also and this is a major issue to use the soft
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »

cose the site is in chinese

Any software that wants you to be on-line to just start it, but is free, quite probably has ulterior motives.  Also, in the wake of recent and newsworthy large-scale hacking and such originating in China, the fact that it is a Chinese site magnifies the possibility in my mind that this software is mal-ware.  Many ghost-nets and zombie-nets can be traced back to China.  Many computers that become part of these hacker controlled networks are infested via mal-ware.

I was a systems analyst for many years at a large university and I absolutely would not let any of my users even try software with this type of description.

If it is legitimate, I suggest making sure your friend is aware that the current arrangement of having to be on-line goes against general best practices and many people may avoid the software because of that.  Also, a full English disclousure of exactly what data is transmitted back and forth would be helpful.

A few articles I found on Google quickly about the recent hacking coming from China:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8460819.stm
http://chinadigitaltimes.net/china/hacking/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/01/14/2010-01-14_security_experts_china_hacked_google_to_steal_us_defense_secrets.html
(most of these relate to Google, but that incident was somewhat indicative of the current climate with regards to hacking.)

Respectfully,

Will
PoniTechnics
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:30:33 PM »

You need to be online just to open the program after that you can close your internet connection.The program is all in english.
This program was promoted by Renderosity from there i find it myself also and after that i become a friend whit the developer of the program and i don't thing that Renderosity have not verify the program.
http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13672
Hi's site i think is the biggest fractal site what i see over the net even i don't understand nothing and i need to use google translate.
http://cgpad.com
In my opinion the program is good ,well done one of the best new fractal programs.
I use the program from 2 years and i don't have problems and also i now cose i am a big network administrator.
I will ask him why is done in this way and if he can change the open of the program. 

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »

You need to be online just to open the program after that you can close your internet connection.

I will ask him why is done in this way and if he can change the open of the program. 

That makes the program absolutely useless to me!!

My art computer never goes online.

I re-iterate the highly suspicious, dubious, and uncalled for nature of that line of programming!!

It scares me, and I will never use such software.

I'd be curious to hear why anyone feels this is needed, especially in  free programs.  Some expensive software uses the technique to avoid piracy, but there is no possible justification in freeware  police cop cop police

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:29:07 AM »

You need to be online just to open the program after that
you can close your Internet connection.

Very questionable!!!   shocked

This program was promoted by Renderosity..... 
and i don't thing that Renderosity have not verify the program.

Just because something is posted to the Internet, as a product others should try, does not make it safe to use.  And that is especially true when mentioned within Renderosity.    angry

If you get a valid answer, please let us know.  I would really appreciate learning the logic behind such a tactic as this.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: