Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 01:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: placing lights, what fractal has which effect?  (Read 1937 times)
scheven_architect
Alien

« on: April 27, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »

Hello,

i saw this picture http://markjaybee.deviantart.com/art/FractalFoundry-II-205513251
and i was wondering how you can place a positional light on the position you exactly want.

Is the only method to know what the different formula's do, trial and error? Because i seem to get lost in all these formula
and don't know at all which formula to use/combine smiley. If i see the pictures in the gallery they all seem well thought and finetuned, so i guess
every formula has it's speciality?

greetings!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:23:58 PM by scheven_architect » Logged
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:54 PM »

My way of positioning positional lights is to just find a spot close to where I want it to be and then use the sliders to move it. To keep track of the light, I usually set visibility to "1" and reduce the amount to a value that allows me to see enough detail.

Finding the right formula's is pretty much trial and error. Although you learn a little faster by using some of the parameters posted on these forums. Good luck!

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
scheven_architect
Alien

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »

My way of positioning positional lights is to just find a spot close to where I want it to be and then use the sliders to move it. To keep track of the light, I usually set visibility to "1" and reduce the amount to a value that allows me to see enough detail.

Finding the right formula's is pretty much trial and error. Although you learn a little faster by using some of the parameters posted on these forums. Good luck!

Sorry but i have no idea what u mean by finding a spot close to where you want it to be, because i can change angles but not the position of the light.
What do you mean by amount?

greetings!
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »

You are either using a different program then M3D or you should start reading the readme file. Then select "positional light" from "lighting", set "Vis:" to 1 and click on the "mid" button. Click in the image on a location where you want the light to be. If the image goes white, reduce amount from 1e0 to a lower value like 1e-1 or even lower. Use Xpos, Ypos and Zpos to change the position of the light.

Hope this helps

scheven_architect
Alien

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »

My apologies! I read the readme but apparently while sleeping smiley!

greetings!
scheven_architect
Alien

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »

You are either using a different program then M3D or you should start reading the readme file. Then select "positional light" from "lighting", set "Vis:" to 1 and click on the "mid" button. Click in the image on a location where you want the light to be. If the image goes white, reduce amount from 1e0 to a lower value like 1e-1 or even lower. Use Xpos, Ypos and Zpos to change the position of the light.

Hope this helps

Apparently in some files positional lights just won't work, no matter how many times i click they dont appear (light is on) or they are placed and i can't reposition them.
Any suggestions?

greetings!
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »

Might be that the scale of your render is rather large and you actually need to increase the amount of light. Try 1e1 or 1e2. That may also explain why it seems that moving the light is hardly possible (Tip: If the slider is in one of the corners, select a different light and then switch back to the light you are positioning. The sliders will be back in the middle grin)

Maybe you can post the parameters of one of your "problem files" here and I'll have a look at it. The easiest way to post parameters here is by saving them to the clipboard (The button with a blue floppy with "txt" in it) and then paste them in your post.

lenord
Fractal Bachius

No Matter where you go there you are

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »

Very wide FoVy will cause the Pos lights to move erratically also when placed far off center, they can even appear on both sides of the image but will only light the area the original was placed. You will only see the light position if you have the the Vis setting at 1 or 2, 0 makes the position transparent.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: