Logo by Tglad - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 09:19:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Unauthorized use of our videos?  (Read 4851 times)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »

Reallybigname brought this superb video to my attention:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WfXjze544TE&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WfXjze544TE&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

The problem is that it uses some content from forums members, and I'm not sure the editor has asked for permission. At least he did not ask me. I have written a polite comment on his vid, let's see how he reacts.

There is content from buddhi (xlace), teamfresh, zongo, and more... (sorry if you see your work in the video and not your name here wink)

I'm not at all an expert in licences, but I find it not very correct to allow the usage of this vid under creative commosn when he did not get any prior permission from the original artists...

Thoughts?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »

first of all i like this video very much because it has everything, nice sound sync, zooms, and deforms
second it is a compilation of work of many others and should at least ask for permission

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
nameinuse2
Alien

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »

Don't mind the tune at all ... think I'll go download a bunch of Glasser.  Seriously though,  they could have at least credited the artists if not asked permission.  I don't think "All footage collected from YouTube and Vimeo under Creative Commons License" covers it.  I'm always careful to at least credit where things have come from, whether it's a background texture or a half second bit of sound.

But it's a great editing job, and they did add a bit of a glow effect.  It'd be way worse if it was a bad edit they were actually trying to sell for cash.  And I'm actually a little disappointed none of my stuff is in there angry

reallybigname
Conqueror

reallybigname reallybigname
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »

Yeah, not giving credit was the scummiest...  (and not picking my vids too)   undecided

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ̿''\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
My Gallery on FractalForums:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=228;u=2941

My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/reallybigname
nameinuse2
Alien

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:43:33 AM »

Really liking this Glasser album! Thanks for the heads-up, fractal appropriating editor guy...

zongo
Navigator

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:32:29 AM »

The author contacted me on Vimeo to give me the link to his video. I wish he asked before making it but I like the editing too, it's nicely done. Actually I thought it was a common practice because I saw a couple of other 3d fractals compilation on Youtube. I didn't think about saving the links but I'm sure you can find those easily.
reallybigname
Conqueror

reallybigname reallybigname
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:09:19 AM »

I see all the credits there now, on youtube and vimeo.  Well, that's cool at least.

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ̿''\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
My Gallery on FractalForums:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=228;u=2941

My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/reallybigname
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »

The re-use of our vids is becoming a habit cheesy

With credits this time:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bOLTCBTex-s&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bOLTCBTex-s&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »

We are so open , friendly and giving i think it is right to expect a bit of give-back!

I know that some of us make a living from this artistic endeavour and i would not want to see them harmed, however if amember publishes to an open .social network site without protecting their work or use of it i do not know what we can do as a forum.

Maybe draft up some sensible advice about protecting your work and put it in the board guidelines? What do you think?

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »

@Jehovah: I think that's a good idea.  It's sort of a nebulous area that if you're not up to speed on can bite you in the butt.

It also begs the questions of whether we need to go through the trouble of watermarking everything we do. sad  We seem to try not to make it a secret who we are when we post, so how hard is it to ask?
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »

The re-use of our vids is becoming a habit cheesy

With credits this time:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bOLTCBTex-s&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bOLTCBTex-s&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Cool. I very much liked the brief flash of the pink Mandelbulb in this video. Back to the roots, kind of. Congratulations on your 1000th post by the way.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:13:34 AM by cbuchner1 » Logged
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:54 AM »

Vimeo has  a page where you choose what copyright you want to put on your work. Maybe we should go ask those guys what they know? smiley

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
zongo
Navigator

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »

I always go for the CC 'Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs' license. Same goes with my music projects when I choose to release free stuff. This way people really interested into remixing/using bits usually contact me first and ask the permission. I almost always agree, I like derivative non-commercial work but I also like to be asked for it 1st. For me this is only a matter of common courtesy.
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »

I think the funniest thing really is that if he just emailed me, all i would ask for is a placed link in his video description, then I would happily provide him with higher quality copy of the work.

I will say one thing though - These guys have good taste in fractals.... afro

*EDIT* there are links placed in the first videos description now, maybe they read this thread...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:19:16 AM by teamfresh » Logged

3dpete
Forums Freshman

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »

I was "informed" by the artist that my video (from Vimeo) had been added to this movie.  Didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or feel a bit ripped off.  Definitely more ripped off since I was not asked permission first and the clip he used is set up as "not available for public download" on Vimeo.  So it was "lifted" with some 3rd party software.

I have music in just about all my clips and I actively search out the musician's permission first.

The line in music is getting blurry with all the remixing and sampling going on, its inevitable that it will work its way into video also.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: