Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 03:34:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Unauthorized use of our videos?  (Read 4775 times)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »

Mmmmh, seems like I recognized my "Like in a dream" video here at 0:40...

Lesson learned: I recently created a Vimeo account to upload my best vids in high quality. I have now removed them. Youtube quality is good enough for art thieves...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgQR11657ws&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mgQR11657ws&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »

Mmmmh, seems like I recognized my "Like in a dream" video here at 0:40...

Send a notice to youtube, as well as the thieves.

With this new push to stop piracy, it may work better than in the past 

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »

Send a notice to youtube, as well as the thieves.

With this new push to stop piracy, it may work better than in the past 

In that particular case this is more complex than it seems. I found the video because the person in question sent a link to me where I could find the video. We are talking about doing business together, at a larger scale. So for this time, I will forget it because of the potential collaboration.

But just to let everyone know that it is a common practice among VJ's to rip videos from Youtube without asking for any authorization...

PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

... the clip he used is set up as "not available for public download" on Vimeo.  So it was "lifted" with some 3rd party software.

I would not consider the "lifting" as a violation because there is not alternative to see HD video without seeing just crap:

Except than with excellent ADSL connection watch streaming video (even more at full size ) is a pain, they freeze every few second so the only solution is download them and see them later when fully downloaded

i hope you don't consider that a violation ,the only alternative would be not see the video

Disable the download is not too effective...on internet whatever may be seen may be also downloaded may be (it is a just  bit a  more complex do from vimeo than from youtube )
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »

Downloading a youtube video for offline viewing is, to my knowledge, not copyright violation.

Using scenes from a downloaded video in work you are presenting as your own most certainly is!

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

Using scenes from a downloaded video in work you are presenting as your own most certainly is!

Especially if you make money out of it!

Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

It happened to me too a while back. A friendly user on YouTube notified me about it. I contacted the user who copied my videos. He didn't answer so I flagged to videos and they got deleted. It was really strange, because my videos were copied with intro and outro included, thus crediting me, but then... what's the point in re-uploading videos?

PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »

Downloading a youtube video for offline viewing is, to my knowledge, not copyright violation.

i fully agree
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

I see this type of stuff all the time on Youtube. The situation is dire with fanart as well. If anyone has browsed my deviantart favorites, they will know that I'm kind of a junkie for nintendo fanart. I typed in "Princess Peach" on youtube, and there are tons of fan-art slideshows; mostly they just put "source: deviantart.com" in the description and assume that's enough to give proper credits, even though millions of users post their art there.

And anyone concerned about controlling content uploaded to the internet, don't bother. keep-tube.com is all you really need to download any video from literally any popular site that caches video content through a flash player. I use it all the time to D/L videos to my hard drive for personal viewing.

Forgive me if this is a tad inappropriate, but some user by the name of "starsisterone" uploaded a compilation video montage composed of fractal stills + female models with "This is a magical movie with beautiful girls!" as the description.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iuJHYek-JVk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iuJHYek-JVk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Since I doubt very seriously he has obtained the necessary rights or permissions to the model photos, fractal renders, and background music, I can assume he merely assembled the images downloaded from the internet using some video authoring suite (for which he likely didn't obtain a valid software license), and uploaded to youtube. It's mildly entertaining, but it amazes me that 90% of the web users don't understand the concept of copyright. Forgive me if I am derailing, but it showcases the mentality of those people who simply compile stuff together and believe the web is their oyster, and everything they find online are pearls for them to play with.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:19:28 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
trumanbrown
Safarist

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »

Just ran across a 2 hour compilation of HD 3d fractal videos, including many of my own: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xuecSLLXTYM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/xuecSLLXTYM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a> .  The YouTube channel belongs to "Tha Pixeltripper".

Given that the compilation is two hours long, I suspect that there is a significant amount of content culled from the works of other FractalForum contributors.  You may want to do a quick scrub through to see if any of your work was included.  Many of the clips that include my own work run almost the full length of the original videos.

I am certain that I was never asked permission to be included in this compilation, nor was I credited in any way in the compilation.  I am submitting a copyright infringement notification to YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/copyright-complaint.html

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »

Just ran across a 2 hour compilation of HD 3d fractal videos, including many of my own: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xuecSLLXTYM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/xuecSLLXTYM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a> .  The YouTube channel belongs to "Tha Pixeltripper".

Given that the compilation is two hours long, I suspect that there is a significant amount of content culled from the works of other FractalForum contributors.  You may want to do a quick scrub through to see if any of your work was included.  Many of the clips that include my own work run almost the full length of the original videos.

I am certain that I was never asked permission to be included in this compilation, nor was I credited in any way in the compilation.  I am submitting a copyright infringement notification to YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/copyright-complaint.html

There are some of my works too, and I don't remember if I was asked for authorization. Anyway there are credits in the description, and that seems non-commercial. It would have been polite to ask but I'm not sure if a copyright infringement notification is really necessary. The only thing that worries me, if you look on the channel page, is to be associated with all these ponies cheesy

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »

...You may want to do a quick scrub through to see if any of your work was included.  Many of the clips that include my own work run almost the full length of the original videos.

It almost makes me glad my videos are so bad nobody wants to steal them   hurt

trumanbrown
Safarist

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »

Anyway there are credits in the description, and that seems non-commercial. It would have been polite to ask but I'm not sure if a copyright infringement notification is really necessary.

Yes, a link to the original videos was considerate, but I would have preferred to have been asked first.  That said, I too wouldn't have much concern about this if:
  • the clips were shorter, rather than being a significant amount of the original content
  • the compilation was not also available for download and further sharing
  • [and this may be very shallow of me, but...] the compilation wasn't getting more views than my original videos  angry

There is nothing to stop someone from downloading and publishing this compilation on some other revenue-generating medium.  Granted, that may be true for any video posted online, but by posting a downloadable link to the compilation, Tha Pixeltripper crossed a line to me.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »

Not to me. In general I believe "sharing is caring". Of course there should be some limits on this (personal passwords, bank logins, personal opinions, sex, private thoughts).

Things as art, science and eduction should be as free and open as possible.
rh73
Forums Freshman

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »

Hello. It feels a bit strange that my first post in this forum would be in a discussion about copyright, but this specific 2 hour compilation video encouraged me to download Mandelbulber, Mandelbulb3d and some other modern fractal renderers myself, mostly because the rather mediocre overall video quality made the beautiful shapes a pain to watch and urge for better quality. For me, this compilation posed a nice "hub" to jump to the channels of quite a few artists without having to manually search youtube for random fractal videos first. But of course I understand the concerns about an unrelated 3rd party offering a download for content you guys created.

So I guess Truman Brown will be happy to see that the video was taken down by youtube just a few hours ago, and the page is now mentioning his copyright claim.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: