Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Background Pics  (Read 2062 times)
The Rev
« on: October 21, 2010, 06:09:08 AM »

Is there anything I can do to increase the "crispness" of background pics?  For example, I'm using an image of stars for a background, and while they are clearly white against black in the picture, they tend to be light gray against dark gray in the rendered fractal image, and the stars are kinda blurred blobs rather than clear points.

Is there an ideal image size that I should use?  Or format (is BMP better than JPG, for example)?

Thanks,

The Rev
The Rev
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »

Well, I figured out one thing.  The Ambient Fog really obscures background images.  It's more like Ambient Smog in that sense.  If you set it to 0, you get clearer results.

The Rev
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »

The background pic covers the whole sphere, so you need the more resolution the lower your FOVy is for a sharp background.
And PNG or BMP is surely better for starlike shapes, also it is better to preblur the image to avoid artifacts from the linear
interpolation in m3d.

Besides the ambient fog, the "depth" setting makes the background vanish as well.

So if you dont want to make a video with background, it may be easier to assemble this in a seperate image editor with layers.
You can also save the ZBuf and use it as transparency for this reason...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: