Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Crumpled surface fractal software  (Read 7923 times)
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« on: October 06, 2016, 05:13:05 AM »

I thought I would add my command-line executable in this software section of FractalForums.
The executable is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8S7Si-yu3Doa19yNy1MaTRPdkU/view?usp=sharing

It generates meshes in .ply or .obj format that are a crumpled surface fractal of a chosen fractal dimension between 2 and 3.
The .obj files contain texture coordinates so you can texture map them, as seen in the image below, that image was built by running:

Folding -f blah.obj -b 15 -y 111.246 -c 256 -t 10

This generates blah.obj, with detail level (number of corrugations) 256, crumple bend angle 15 degrees, and yaw angle 111.256 (180 divided by golden ratio), and for -t (the location type) >=2 it chooses a random location based on that seed.

The more geometric shapes, as seen in http://tglad.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/foil-surface-fractals.html are using a yaw angle of 90 degrees.
Beware trying -c more than 256, it will really start to slow down and eat memory. You can use .ply if you want to save disk space as this is a binary format.

Enjoy!

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:06:28 AM »

It looks great terrain. 

From my position of half knowledge, I wonder if it could work as a pre-transform (domain map change??) before a  pseudo Kleinian, mandelbox or aSurf, to produce some interesting pseudo-random fold angles, (if this makes sense??) smiley
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 01:17:37 PM »

Thanks. I'm not sure about the domain map change suggestion, but maybe it could be done.

But you did get me thinking that this would be useful in computer games, because in addition to being procedural geometry (good for memory efficiency and level-of-detail), it apples a flat texture map without any distortion. And with a slight tweak (to keep an integer number of corrugations in x,y) the whole thing should tile.
Self intersection is the biggest problem, but at least for these irrational yaw angle sets you can keep on trying random locations on the surface to minimise this.

Here's a sequence of growing bend angles with a forest-like texture and a road. 7.5 degrees up to 30:

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »

realistic terrain for a game.  All sorts of possibilities! smiley

I was thinking that when I apply  folds as a pre-transform to a pseudo-kleinian. These fold angles are found inside the fractal, and transform the vertical bulbous part of the pseudo kleinian, producing interesting variations.

I was thinking of your formula as a fast "folds generator "  for exploring pseudo klienian, if that is practical.

* PdoKlnMod1 fhb4 800.jpg (96.43 KB, 600x450 - viewed 476 times.)
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 05:08:43 AM »

Hi Mclarekin, the 3D folding of space in escape-time fractals is quite different to this surface folding... but it might produce interesting results none-the-less.

I've featured this crumpled surface in a short article: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309391846_Three_Variable_Dimension_Surfaces

The ultimate goal is a flat sheet that crumples up all the way to a dense volume, without self-intersection. Finding a simple and symmetric construction is the tricky bit   cheesy  cool
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: