Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 07:09:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: IFS, KIFS, DIFS, RIFS, LRIFS. How does DEcombinate fit in?  (Read 1921 times)
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

valera.rozuvan valerarozuvan
« on: August 03, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »

I am having trouble classifying the following terminology:

1. IFS - Iterated Function System
2. KIFS - Kaleidoscopic (escape time) IFS
3. DIFS - what does this stand for? I have seen people mentioning it all over the place.
4. RIFS, LRIFS - this is mentioned in a comment over at Distance Estimated 3D Fractals (Part VIII): Epilogue. Something to do with L-Systems.

Now I am trying to figure out where in all of this DEcombinate fits in. Is DEcomb only a MB3D thing? Can it be considered a system - in the same sense as IFS is an iterated function system?

Also, does DE in DEcombinate stand for Distance Estimate?

valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 06:52:10 PM »

It turns out that LRIFS stands for Language-restricted Iterated Function Systems. Some papers that discuss LRIFS:

1. Language-Restricted Iterated Function Systems, Koch Constructions, and L-systems [Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz, Mark Hammel; 1994]
2. Escape-time Visualization Method for Language-restricted Iterated Function Systems [Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz, Mark Hammel; 1992]

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »

DE is just a scalar defined for every x y z.
You can combine two DEs in some way taking the min... the max or average. That way you are doing a DE comb  cheesy

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:36:25 PM »

DE is just a scalar defined for every x y z.
You can combine two DEs in some way taking the min... the max or average. That way you are doing a DE comb  cheesy

So, does DE stand for Distance Estimate? If that's so, is the scalar you are talking about just the distance between the observer and the (x, y, z) point?

valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:58:49 PM »

OK. I think I got it. Need more sleep. It's actually described very nicely on the page Distance Estimated 3D Fractals (III): Folding Space. An excerpt:

Combining objects

Distance fields have some nice properties. For instance, it is possible to combine two distance fields using a simple minimum(a,b) operator. As an example we could draw the union of two spheres the following way:

DE(p) = min( length(p)-1.0 , length(p-vec3(2.0,0.0,0.0))-1.0 );

This would give us two spheres with unit radius, one centered at origo, and another at (2,0,0). The same way it is possible to calculate the intersection of two objects, by taking the maximum value of the fields. Finally, if you are using signed distance functions, it is possible to subtract one shape from another by inverting one of the fields, and calculating the intersection (i.e. taking max(A, -B)).

So now we have a way to combine objects. And it is also possible to apply local transformations, to get interesting effects:

This image was created by combining the DE’s of a ground plane and two tori while applying a twisting deformation to the tori.

I was thinking of DEcombinate the wrong way. It is not an IFS! It's just a method for combining objects to make a new object.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: