Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Advanced Terrain Generator  (Read 21732 times)
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »

I've been playing a bit for the last few days with creating a more realistic and flexible terrain generator.
I am using also the latest version of my raytracer that includes nicely integrated Sky model.
Part of R&D for an upcoming short.

The default terrain in fragmentarium is based on the cnoise implementation which is very slow for the task.
Recently I posted a bunch of other noise functions and the IQ noise is way faster.
I also developed a nice compound sinus noise mode and pulse gizmos to control all this in larger scale.

This is all still in works, but I'll be sharing the bits and bites as soon as it gets more polished form.

* 01.jpg (66.7 KB, 1280x505 - viewed 689 times.)

* 02.jpg (56.58 KB, 1280x505 - viewed 630 times.)

* 03.jpg (62.88 KB, 1280x505 - viewed 669 times.)

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 04:45:09 PM »

Erosion does not look bad!

* 06.jpg (100.32 KB, 1280x505 - viewed 627 times.)

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »

very very nice, I can't wait to test it out Sponge Bob looney

I think we might need a "PatrykKizny" folder in the examples, if that's ok with you to distribute

the sky does look really good.

can this generate a water like surface? more than one surface ie:land and water?

with land, water, clouds is there enough shader code space for other stuff like, DE advances, bulbs, sponges, julias, etc.etc.etc. I am concerned that only Titan+ will be able to use this code sad

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »

yay, terrain based on noise maps instead of heightmaps is the way to go, excellent!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:01 PM »

cheesy i`m doing it too ) just today  grin grin grin
And I have an idea to create landscape fractal with different noise functions for field, mountains and water. Now i tested cnoise and pnoise - simple sum for a variety of relief

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »

very impressive  afro afro afro
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »

On my end the terrain itself seems to be even faster than the cnoise based one. It's based on the IQ noise functions I shared earlier (pinned now). The other noise stuff based on sin function is also very fast. The power of this is a flexibility of mixing various components (not coding needed for users).

Yes, It can do water if you decrease amplitude.

I am working on that within a wider 'framework' for adding other fractals as hybrids and as soon as it is more polished I'll eagerly share it.
I can easily add a few fractals. Depending on the complexity of course it can finally kill any GPU, but I tend to explore the stuff from outside instead of doing deep zooms (which are not impressive on a GPU anyways).

True, the raytracer itself got very complex, but I've kept it modular, so you can strip it down and work only with needed components or the stuff you can afford.
the terrain generator though is not dependent on the tracer.

What would help to make it all way more elegant is the feature I suggested long ago - filtering out uniforms on compile that are sitting within #ifdef blocks.

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »

with land, water, clouds is there enough shader code space for other stuff like, DE advances, bulbs, sponges, julias, etc.etc.etc. I am concerned that only Titan+ will be able to use this code sad
CRY-engine for fractals  hrmm

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »

the terrain generator though is not dependent on the tracer.
Do you have to render the "land,air,sea" separately and merge object images after? does the terrain interact with bulbs and other stuff?
What would help to make it all way more elegant is the feature I suggested long ago - filtering out uniforms on compile that are sitting within #ifdef blocks.
I've done some simple stuff just to remove the defines I've added,AUTO_FOCUS and DEPTH_TO_ALPHA ifdef,else,endif but handling multiple and/or nested conditions is going to be tricky and require some testing, if it can be kept to two conditions #ifdef and #ifndef with no #else or nesting then it would be very easy but that might be an unreasonable imposition on programmers.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:42:04 PM by 3dickulus » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »

simple #ifdef or #ifndef would be sufficient for this usage. The purpose at the moment is only hiding unused uniforms in the GUI.

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »

It looks like I already have a nice set of layers for creating alien worlds!

* terrain-3.jpg (89.67 KB, 1280x505 - viewed 644 times.)

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 07:28:30 PM »

"hiding" uniforms in the GUI means stripping out code before it goes for processing by the current parser that generates the widgetry, easy todo for #define + #ifdef + #endif,  a bit harder to have the parser test all uniforms for usage and compliance.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »

No need for testing and compliance. Just strip down the code for uniforms the same way normal code is stripped when sits within #ifdefs

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 03:19:33 AM »

Almost there!

* terrain-5.jpg (108.16 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 708 times.)

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 03:43:05 AM »

that is looking really nice wink

No need for testing and compliance. Just strip down the code for uniforms the same way normal code is stripped when sits within #ifdefs

the GPU compiler does this, not done in Fragmentarium C++ code that's why some stuff don't get cleaned.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: