Logo by wmauzey - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 03:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is it possible to make a video scrolling at the same zoom level?  (Read 4440 times)
Description: I can't seem to find a tech help thread, so excuse me...
thesoundsmith
Forums Newbie

« on: January 13, 2015, 09:06:01 AM »

I have found a "road" between the left and right side of the "hidden Mandelbrot" that I would like to animate similar to a zoom, only left-right rather than up-down. The "landscape" is a fun "ride," and a bit different than a zoom. Can we rotate the formula so it faces 90 degrees off? (I'm talking through my hat here, but that seems like what would work, I just have no idea how to go about it, my math skills stop at algebra with a bit of statistics that I have forgotten...)

Is this at all possible, with this or another program?

Thanks for any ideas.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:07:41 AM by thesoundsmith » Logged
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »

Is the program you are using Kalles Fraktaler?
Rotate the start view to desired angle.
Set zoom level to 1.
Start the zoom sequence, and ignore warnings about zoom level not being set to 2.
Check the checkbox "Left scrolling"
smiley

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
thesoundsmith
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I am using Fractal Extreme. Is the forum a general fractal site? I thought it was support for fX...

But it sounds like the concept is valid, can this be done in fX? Or, to rephrase -

What program, if any, will allow me to specify two points in a fractal figure regardless of position or zoom level, and then animate a scroll between? (And do so in a user-friendly way... :-) )
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:34:19 PM by thesoundsmith » Logged
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »

This forum is a general forum on fractals, but you did post to the right subspace of the forum. Kalles is just promoting his own program, which is mostly focused on creating zoom video's in a very time-efficient way. Unfortunately you cannot specify keyframes, only the centerpoint which to zoom to. Mandel Machine is another mandelbrot renderer which uses the perturbation theory. This gives the fractal calculation a huge speed improvement. I'm not sure what the current state/plans for animation is in Mandel Machine, but it might be worth following the development. Another one I know is Gnofract4D, but it's Linux only. It has a huge amount of fractal formulas, color methods. The animation director allows use of keyframes, but not very advanced. It can't really zoom deep, compared to Kalles Fraktaler and Mandel Machine. And I think it's pretty unstable. Sometimes crashes within second when only changing the resolution.
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:10:02 AM »

There is a poster option under the render menu. If you made a super wide poster you could then use video editing to scroll through that.
You lose the 'interpolate colors' of the palette mapping ie if you use a 'speed' of more than 1 or acceleration you will see wider iteration bands.
thesoundsmith
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »

Thanks for the info, folks. I realize KF is promoting his product, and I have no problem with that (want to buy some jazz-ish CDs? Or a New Agey deep meditative album that is the reason i got into fractal animation? cheesy) And it may be the closest answer to date, though I have NO idea how to map between two different programs, as I said, I have zero relevant math skills.

How wide can the poster go? I doubt that I can make a window wide enough to handle the resolution and length I need (VGA pixel size would be fine, though I would prefer HD - but I have to scroll literally hundreds of times from center to get to one end, and then I'd have to do it again to get ti the other - that's billions of pixels at minimum (4096,000,000,000,000 or so X 512?) Don't think so... But thanks for the idea, it will be useful in another less size-y context.
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »

Here is a description of general technique that should work for any renderer that can run in a one-shot batch mode (ie, you launch the program with a parameter file to render, the program renders it, saves the image, and exits).  It does require a little maths, and some programming skills to realize it.

First, determine the coordinates (in parameter space) at the center of the first view in your desired scroll video, and the coordinates at the center of the final view.  Given these two points (call them c0, c1 as complex numbers) you can determine the distance and rotation angle:  d = |c1 - c0|, t = arg (c1 - c0)  You also need to decide on a constant zoom depth for the video (variable zoom and scrolling is much more difficult), and a video frame size in pixels (width w height h).  In my programs I use the view radius (distance from center of view to center-top of view) as zoom depth, it's quite easy to convert between representations.  Call the view radius r.

Now, the spacing between pixels in your video frames will be (r / h), and the distance in pixels between c0 and c1 will be  d / (r / h).  The total width in pixels that you need to render is  d / (r / h) + w  because you need an extra w/2 at each end.  Round up this value to the next multiple of w, say pixels p = n * w.  Now we know how many neighbouring tiles we need to render (n tiles, each w * h pixels) to cover the whole scroll length (with a little bit left over at the right hand end).

Next we compute the center of each of these tiles: c = c0 + (c1 - c0) * k * w / (r / h) , for k in 0, 1, 2, ..., n - 1.  Starting from a template parameter file (with the correct zoom level, rotation angle, tile width, tile height, colouring, other options affecting appearance), generate n parameter files each with the new center coordinate c for each k.  Think along the lines of mail-merge functionality for corporate marketing letters - just replace a few keywords in a template.  Then render all of these in sequence with your program's batch mode, giving you n tile images.  Maybe render only the first few tiles first, to check that the maths worked out ok and that the tiles line up at the edges between them without seams.

Finally you need to assemble all of the tile images (which if concatenated horizontally would be a huge image n*w * h that likely no image file format supports, let alone image viewers) into a scrolling video.  I have written a program to do this assembly before (but in a now-obsolete environment) - I will re-write a new version soon (probably will take a couple of weeks until I have time, if I take too long, and you haven't found a different program to do the same thing, yell at me).  At that point you need to decide the scrolling speed.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:04:15 AM »

short answer, yes.

http://www.fractalforums.com/animations-showcase-%28rate-my-short-animation%29/swoop-%28flyby-zoom-inout%29/#new

not exactly a scrolling image but the sequence generator in SFTC will transition between any two coordinates with a static zoom setting too, also morphs palettes, no math or programming required wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
thesoundsmith
Forums Newbie

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »

Again, thanks to you both. Claude, great assist. I get the process, and can probably figure that level of math to make it work - eventually...

And 3dickulous, I will try that one. First...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: