Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 02:16:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: how long would it take to make a 10 min long fractal zoom at 1080p?  (Read 3429 times)
shadyJ
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »

From lurking here, it seems like it takes a long time for a computer to render a fractal zoom, at even modest resolutions. What, if you had a relatively decent computer, would you estimate the time it might typically take to do a neat looking fractal zoom at a high HD resolution, specifically 1080p.

By the way, I like this forum, what a great resource it is for people interested in it!

James
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

The question is too broad.  It depends upon the settings involved for rendering, and the actual fractal types used.

Deep zooms can take months, regardless of the computer.

Then there is frame rate - 30 frames per second would require many more images to reach ten minutes than 12 frames per second  (30 is "industry standard for TV and such, 12 has been used in Flash games - but 12 would look HORRIBLE for fractals).

There is also a question of which generator you use!  Some are much faster than others.

Try to narrow things down a bit if you can.

But my advice is to just grab a free fractal generator and do a test run!

Have fun with it!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:11:32 PM »

An nVidia GTX 285 or GTX 470/480 should manage full screen mandelbrot fractals in real time using CUDA. However it's computing in single floating point precision (32bit only) and hence it severely limits how far you can zoom in. The software developer kit for CUDA comes with this Mandelbrot sample.

But some kind of "tour" with multiple hops (zoom in to one detail, then zoom out and pan to another detail before zooming back in) could be computed in 10 minutes, and presented in 10 minutes.... simultaneously wink
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:39:40 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:17:27 AM »

From lurking here, it seems like it takes a long time for a computer to render a
    fractal zoom, at even modest resolutions.  What, if you had a relatively decent
    computer, would you estimate the time it might typically take to do a neat looking
    fractal zoom at a high HD resolution, specifically 1080p.

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

Sockratease and Christian Buchner have both given you some useful information to think about.  But if you are wanting to do deep zooms, then you can expect it to take many hours (most likely days) to finally get something worth the effort.  I have a fairly decent machine (8 processors with 16-GB RAM, and a very nice graphics card), but it still takes a lot of time to set up the exploration.

And if you want a really good video, you should consider making the fractal images match the music that you intend to use.

shadyJ
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:40:08 AM »

Thanks for the responses, guys.

First of all, what software do you recommend for a newbie to try a high resolution deep zoom? I would like to make a blu ray demo for my home theater, so I guess the FPS would be 24 (can blu ray players playback 1080p at more than 24 fps?). I don't know about fractal types, I guess something that looks nice, like say a Mendelbrot or Julia set?

By the way, I don't have a newer Nvidia card, so that CUDA stuff is out for me. That technology does look interesting though, I have read about it.

I have played around with a program called Fraqtive, it was fun but I don't think it will animate a zoom.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »

Whatever software you use to burn the blue-ray should prevent you from burning a disc at a frame rate standard player will reject.

As for what software for a deep zoom, I only ever had the patience for a deep zoom once (and it wasn't that deep either) but I used Ultra Fractal.  I don't know if there are other good ones for deep zooming or not, but I'm not sure I can wholeheartedly endorse UF as the way to go  (The Animation Edition is EXPENSIVE, but it was for a commercial job, so I justified it).

Maybe Visions of Chaos?  I know it does deep zooming, but it seems to take far longer than Ultra Fractal to render a similar magnification with a similar color palette & similar maximum iterations / bailout values.  But Visions Of Chaos is 1/3 the price of Ultra Fractal!

Both have free trials though, so give 'em the test drive I mentioned.

As for freeware, I can't praise  ChaosPro enough, but it does not do truly deep zooms.

If you want a 3 Dimensional Fractal to fly around instead, try Jesse's Mandelbulb 3D  (use the "Downloads" link at the top of the page!) or the free  Chaoscope which has a separate program available to make it do animations (called anim4chaoscope - it's in their Downloads pages someplace).
I'm sure there are many more.  I tend to forget the obvious ones.  I trust others will offer more ideas for software...

EDIT:   Fractint!!  That's another good free one for deep zooms, but I never tested it myself for that, so have no clue about it's render times....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:19:08 AM by Sockratease » Logged

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 02:18:20 AM »

First of all, what software do you recommend for a newbie to try a
    high resolution deep zoom?  I would like to make a blu ray demo for my
    home theater, so I guess the FPS would be 24 (can blu ray players
    playback 1080p at more than 24 fps?).  I don't know about fractal types,
    I guess something that looks nice, like say a Mendelbrot or Julia set?

Are you familiar with the works of Lloyd Garrik (JackOfTraDeZ):
    http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=656.0

And if you have not read this posting, it should be another one of interest:
    http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=970.0

The current trend within this Forum are the Mandelbulb and Mandelbox videos.  You can get a good idea of what is involved with making a video by using the Mandelbul3D application by Jesse:
    http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?board=168.0

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 02:22:11 AM »

Thanks for the responses, guys.

First of all, what software do you recommend for a newbie to try a high resolution deep zoom? I would like to make a blu ray demo for my home theater, so I guess the FPS would be 24 (can blu ray players playback 1080p at more than 24 fps?). I don't know about fractal types, I guess something that looks nice, like say a Mendelbrot or Julia set?

By the way, I don't have a newer Nvidia card, so that CUDA stuff is out for me. That technology does look interesting though, I have read about it.

I have played around with a program called Fraqtive, it was fun but I don't think it will animate a zoom.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

If you need a free program then for what you want I'd suggest ChaosPro, if you can afford to buy then get Ultra Fractal 5.

As to time to render at 1080p - to give you some idea lets say (on the bright side) that the average 1080p frame takes 10 seconds (very fast for a fractal zoom movie and assuming a simple formula and not too much "inside" on view) then for 10 minutes at 24 fps it will take 10*60*24*10 seconds to render i.e. 40 hours and that's without any AA and very generous, if zooming to say a medium magnification of around 1e6 or so then you can probably up the average frame render time to around a minute instead of 10 seconds even for a quick formula.

A proper quality rendered zoom movie to say max. 1e10 magnification with say 3*AA is basically going to take weeks @1080p with 24 fps for 10 minutes..

Note that the above is assuming you have say a quadcore system - if you had a dual quadcore then things would be somewhat faster.

Also I suspect some specific software may be faster for a limited number of formulas - for instance Xaos but I'm not sure how easy that is to use for producing very long animations.

Of course if you're after really deep zooms beyond 1e16 then you're into a different world altogether smiley

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:26:07 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
shadyJ
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »

Thanks for the tips!

I fooled around with ChaosPro tonight, I even managed to make some zoom animations and a couple other things. It was fun.

A couple questions- how much better is ultra fractal 5 over chaosPro?

Also, I noticed that when I boosted up the iteration value, it took longer to calculate. My understanding of that value is that the larger it is, the further you can zoom in on a border or some nook and see detail? Like in a Mendelbrot set? So if I wanted to do a ultra deep zoom, that value would need to be very large? How does "bailout" relate to iteration?

Also, can you guys give me some tips on how to make my zooms better?

I checked out some of those links, very interesting stuff. I'd love to see some of those mandebulb structures animated, I am sure that would look incredible (but also take an incredibly long time to process).
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »

how much better is ultra fractal 5 over chaosPro?

ChaosPro is a Great program, but it chokes on deep zooms.  The only advantage Ultra Fractal has over Chaos Pro is it's ability to do deep zooms.  Even the interfaces are very similar!

As for making your zooms better, do more of the things you like!

Not sure what you'd consider better, but I like doing things like cycling the colors while animating.  Here's a video done in chaos pro with no animation other than color cycling:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSCSjRHnKwY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pSCSjRHnKwY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Combining that technique with camera movements and formula transformations is fun smiley

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:11:50 PM »

A couple questions- how much better is ultra fractal 5 over ChaosPro?

Personally, I and many others agree, UF is not worth the price and hassle:
    ....I'm not sure I can wholeheartedly endorse UF as the way to go
        (The Animation Edition is EXPENSIVE.... 

Also, I noticed that when I boosted up the iteration value, it took longer to calculate.
    My understanding of that value is that the larger it is, the further you can zoom in
    on a border or some nook and see detail?  Like in a Mendelbrot set?  So if I wanted
    to do a ultra deep zoom, that value would need to be very large?
    How does "bailout" relate to iteration?

Sounds like you want a crash course on the basics of fractal generation.  May I suggest that you do a bit more reading from one of the several hundred web sites that have tutorials available.  This is not something that one decides to master on a whim.

Also, can you guys give me some tips on how to make my zooms better?

Lots of practice using the fractal generator of your choice.  And spending time reading all of the "tips" that have already answered the same basic questions.  I know that this is all brand new to you, but slow down a bit and do some reading before jumping in head first.

I checked out some of those links, very interesting stuff.  I'd love to see some
    of those Mandebulb structures animated, I am sure that would look incredible
    (but also take an incredibly long time to process).

There are a few hundred already available for viewing, just browse around some more.  You will find them and maybe be able to answer all of the questions you currently are asking.

As to time consuming, a decent and quick fly-through of the Mandelbulb can be rendered in less than an hour.  But it will not be a 10-minute zoom.

lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

You might want to consider other types of animations than zooms.  For a 10-minute piece, you'll almost certainly wind up in deep-zoom territory, which will take a long time to render.  Parameter sweeps can be interesting, too, or maybe use something like Windows Movie Maker to put together a string of shorter pieces into your final animation.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

shadyJ,
From a purely experimental point of view, don't worry touching the bailout if you want to do zooms. Keep the default value. The bailout value is the test done at each iteration to check if the point will escape to infinity or not.

As you have understood, the deeper the zoom near the border of a fractal set, the higher the iteration count needs to be, otherwise you lose the finest details. This is something every fractalist knows very well.

I don't agree with Nahee regarding litterature. Of course it's important to read a lot, but it's also important to well balance theory and practice, so I would advise to try as many applications as possible, at the same time read tutorials, theory white papers, etc... Then choose 1 or 2 programs where you want to invest some time.

When I "seriously" started to do fractals (although I do not think it's very serious to spend so much time on fractals! smiley), I quickly tested, say, 15 different apps, and I chose 2 of the most popular : Apo and UF. I eventually bough UF because it was the one I preferred. I don't regret at all the cost of the licence, because I learned so much with UF. BTW, you can use UF even if you don't buy it and as long as you wish, you just won't be able to render images and videos to disk without watermarks (but you can still take screenshots, the only thing with screenshots is that you don't have the Antialias function to smooth pixel steps)

Chaospro is to me a kind of freeware copy of UF, with the addition of some functionalities, so I thought I could use it instead of UF before I decided to buy UF. But I found Chaospro was not stable enough : too many crashes, and a GUI not as optimized and intuitive as UF. Now I am addicted to Mandelbulb 3D. But there are still some very popular program I have tried less than 10 minutes, so lot of time to spent on fractals in the next years smileysmiley.

Regarding Mandelbulb/box tranformations (and zooms), I did tens of them, at the beginning with UF and now with M3D (+Virtualdub). Have a look at my Youtube channel and enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/user/bib993#p/u

Cheers
bib

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:55:54 PM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
shadyJ
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys!

I have some more questions: since you can specify the iterations in ChaosPro, why wouldn't it be able to go really deep? Is there a maximum amount of iterations it can do which prevents that? Seems like the 'depth' of the zooms would depend on the iterations in your fractal, if I understand these ideas correctly.

Also, a problem I have had with a couple zooms in ChaosPro is that for awhile it zooms fine and smooth, but then it starts getting jittery and instead of just zooming in at one direction, the 'camera' go crazy and zigzags all over the place. It's like it follows my directions to a point but gradually starts bouncing around. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Also I looked at some of those Mandelbulb and Mandelbox animations, those were just stunning! I would LOVE to make a nice long movie like that! How in the world did you guys do those things!?! I know I have a lot of catching up to do before I reach that point, but wow, I really want to try some of those!

Socratease, can you tell me exactly how you did that color cycle? I think something like that combined with a zoom would be really neat.

Again, thanks for the help everyone. I think I am off to a good start thanks to all your assistance! I will certainly do some more reading, but don't rest easy, because I am sure it won't be long before I am back with some more questions!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 01:30:33 AM »

Socratease, can you tell me exactly how you did that color cycle? I think something like that combined with a zoom would be really neat.

That was simple.  Just find an interesting place in your fractal, set a keyframe, then (in ChaosPro) press F7 (or click the colorful Palette Icon up top) to bring up the Palette Editor, and slide the slider on the bottom all the way to the other side!

Set another keyframe, drag it down a bit, and that's all.

As for Mandelbulb / Mandelbox Animations - they are no more complex than ChaosPro animations.  Just give it a try and you'll see what I mean.

Back to Chaos Pro - the camera is doing it's best to interpolate between keyframes.  If you made too many adjustments to the position between keyframes, it may guess wrong at what you wanted.  I suggest using more keyframes and not zooming too much between them.  That should tame the camera nicely.

And Deep Zooms involve LOTS of calculations.  Not all software uses the same Math Libraries, or implements them in the same way.  It is not merely the iterations - it is an inherent limit in the way ChaosPro does Math.  Something to do with the number of decimal places it can handle I think...  Not 100% sure of the exact reason, just that it takes some pretty Hoopy Math to handle the calculations when deep zooming.  Have you zoomed in deep enough in ChaosPro to see everything just go "blocky" no matter what you do?

That's the limit of it's ability.

Still - if you are trying to keep render times reasonable, then you may not want to zoom too deep at first.  TeamFresh just finished a "Trip To e228" zoom which runs 13 minutes and took 6 Months to render!!

Watch it here:  http://www.fractalforums.com/movies-showcase-%28rate-my-movie%29/trip-to-e228/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: