Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: how long would it take to make a 10 min long fractal zoom at 1080p?  (Read 3164 times)
shadyJ
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 06:31:58 AM »

Thanks for the info!

I'll try that color cycling sometime on the weekend, I think it will be pretty cool in a zoom.

A question: instead of a deep zoom, do you think that a slow, color cycling zoom that doesn't go really deep will take a lot of time to render? Also, can ChaosPro anti-alias the animations it outputs into a .avi file?

Thanks!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »

Again, render time depends upon far too many factors to answer the question as stated.  I can say that color cycling does not add to the render time much unless the color palette used is extremely complex.

Also, can ChaosPro anti-alias the animations it outputs into a .avi file?

I STRONGLY suggest NOT rendering to avi!!!

Especially for longer animations.

Render an image sequence, and compile it in a video editor (VirtualDub is what I started with, and it's Free!).

Rendering to avi can be dangerous.  You can bog down your computer's memory near the end and lose everything.

Likewise a power failure - all work lost.

But if you render an image sequence, even in the event of a power failure - you still have what was created up to that point, and can just pick up from the last keyframe rendered!

And Anti-Aliasing does add to render times.

Tremendously if set too high!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:34:14 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
shadyJ
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 03:34:57 AM »

Hmm, didn't know that about .avi's, thanks.

The only thing is, I don't know how to compile images for virtual dub, I'm sure it isn't difficult though. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something about how to use that. I have never used these types of software before, the only media software I know how to use is audio stuff, not video stuff.

thanks!
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 04:08:29 AM »

with Vdub to set up an image sequence...
(I assume you have a folder with a numbered image/frame sequence inside)
1) click file and select "open video file"
2) ensure the check box on the bottom left hand side marked "automatically load liked segments" is checked
3) Now select the first frame. click "open" and all the other frames should have also now automatically imported into Vdub.
4) export in the chosen manner

give me a shout if you get stuck with number 4.

as for "last lights on" Yeah if I had pulled my finger out I could have knocked a month or two off of that  fiery still patience is definitely required for deep zooms at pretty much any resolution. wink past e16 its number crunching time. I think If I had Tried to do that at 1080 it would have taken around a year or two!!!  also even though it cant do deep zooms -- i started animating on chaos pro and I love it.
Love the fractal in the eye!
one thing I do love is the 3D engine. way cool for hight maps smiley you can even animate them into movies. afro

oh yeah - Try Xaos out if you get the chance. works on any platform and has real time fractal zooming!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:23:45 AM by teamfresh » Logged

shadyJ
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 08:48:04 AM »

Thank you very much!

I will give virtualdub a try tomorrow evening, and let you know how it goes. I'll try out Xaos too.

Thanks!
shadyJ
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »

ok, I tried making some animations in ChaosPro, using the separate pictures method instead of just making an .avi, but the problem I have sometimes is that it crashes after the first picture is rendered. It doesn't even complete one frame. Can anyone give me a tip on what could be going wrong?
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »

ChaosPro.....crashes

That's the problem with Chaospro : too unstable sad

I have used UF thousands of hours, and it crashed maybe once or twice.
I have used Chaospro tens of hours, and it crashed.....every 30 minutes...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:29:54 PM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »

the fact chaos pro crashes all the time is the reason I stopped using it really. although it did teach me to save my work more often!!!!

shadyJ
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 04:26:32 AM »

I have rendered some animations successfully, like the escape time mandelbrots, in ChaosPro, but when I try to render my attractor things, like that 3d Sierpinski carpet box thing, it crashes right away. Sigh.

Anyway I am trying my hand at Xaos now, but I am having similar problems recording zooms that I had on ChaosPro. I am not rendering them yet, just recording them for now. Anyway, the problem is I will be recording a nice steady zoom, but when I play back the zoom, it seems to stop following the positions after a little bit in the zoom that I guided it with the mouse, and the screen just starts flashing a bunch of colors like it's going crazy. Can anyone tell me what is happening? Boy, I hate to sound so helpless! I wish this stuff would just work like I expect!
teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »

it could be your graphics card is not up to scratch. hard to say  angry Maybe you could try a different piece of software. Why not try out ultra fractal? huh? its similar to chaos pro and its stable. angel I don't think its necessarily the best software out there tease - (that goes to mandelbulber/mandelbulb 3d in my humble opinion :smiley) but you cant go wrong with it and it has some wicked tuts for you to learn all the features etc..... wink

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: