Logo by Timeroot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 12:37:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 2 differents textures at least..  (Read 1540 times)
Description: 2 differents textures for object
pulsar69
Navigator

https://www.facebook.com/
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »

Thanx for this fantastic software !

Here is my feature request : (hope it's not already somewhere on this board)

Having 2 differents textures (map or procedural), one for the escape formula, and one for the Difs formula.
Fo example when combining an escape time with a heighmapsdifs generally used as ground or ceiling, it would be great to have a different texture than the main fractal for it. Or when combining Difs with escape time, it would be great to have transparency/reflection on difs but not on escape time (with two differents gradients, it would be possible)

Or better but surely hard to do..one texture for each slot formula !!

Greetings
philippe

A topologist is someone who doesn't know the difference between a cup of coffee and a donut.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »

Thanx for this fantastic software !

Here is my feature request : (hope it's not already somewhere on this board)

Having 2 differents textures (map or procedural), one for the escape formula, and one for the Difs formula.
Fo example when combining an escape time with a heighmapsdifs generally used as ground or ceiling, it would be great to have a different texture than the main fractal for it. Or when combining Difs with escape time, it would be great to have transparency/reflection on difs but not on escape time (with two differents gradients, it would be possible)

Or better but surely hard to do..one texture for each slot formula !!

Greetings
philippe

Hi again   afro

This was requested long ago  (by me  embarrass ) and I believe the answer was that it's impossible with alternating fractals because the separate formulas lose their identity in the calculations.

dIFS are different and it may be possible if Jesse feels it can be coded.  It's already possible to apply Transparency to dIFS only by checking the appropriate box in the Post Processings window.  But I don't think we can use two gradients or image maps at this point.

Hope that helps.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
pulsar69
Navigator

https://www.facebook.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »

Thanx for your answer !

philippe

A topologist is someone who doesn't know the difference between a cup of coffee and a donut.
barcud
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »

I was wondering if the use of different textures for dIFS might be possible.
Not knowing a lot about fractal and the math involved I thought that dIFS formulas might be the ones where it is possible to 'identify' the separate parts of the formula - so it might be possible to apply different textures to them.
I use dIFS mainly to 'create' equirectangular panoramas (with dIFS I feel I know a bit what I am doing) and it would be great if a floor (which uses a HeightmapIFS) could have a different texture from some buildings (RandCubeIFS) and so on.

Well question still remaining is can it be done because I guess it is quite different from applying transparency ?!

Cheers,
     Barcud
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

I was wondering if the use of different textures for dIFS might be possible.
Not knowing a lot about fractal and the math involved I thought that dIFS formulas might be the ones where it is possible to 'identify' the separate parts of the formula - so it might be possible to apply different textures to them.
I use dIFS mainly to 'create' equirectangular panoramas (with dIFS I feel I know a bit what I am doing) and it would be great if a floor (which uses a HeightmapIFS) could have a different texture from some buildings (RandCubeIFS) and so on.

Well question still remaining is can it be done because I guess it is quite different from applying transparency ?!

Cheers,
     Barcud

As answered a couple posts up, no.  At the moment such things are not possible in a single render, but if you are creative and willing to put as much effort into postwork as setting up everything else, you could pull it off with multiple renders and layering/masking.

You'd need a decent image editor, but until Jesse gets back to working on MB3D, nothing will change  (Jesse is taking time away from this to deal with some personal stuff).

Hope that answers the question   afro

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
barcud
Navigator

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »

Sorry for possibly causing confusion.
I know that it is not possible at the moment and I have used Gimp with several renders or imported the pano as backdrop into Blender.
It was more of a question - can it be done as a new feature for dIFS with source code changes and I didn't know who is looking at things like that.

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers,
      Bernd
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »

It was more of a question - can it be done as a new feature for dIFS with source code changes and I didn't know who is looking at things like that.

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers,
      Bernd

Ah.  I understand.  No problems.

I'm sure Jesse will take a look at all the suggestions once he gets back to this project.  He's very good about that.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: