Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:00:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: A challenging new plugin for panzerboy...  (Read 1704 times)
Description: Wondering if this is possible?
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:47 PM »

Here's a fairly simple formula I wrote in FractInt.

It doesn't use a radius bailout, but simply iterates 50 times, and uses the outside colouring option tdis, which is the total distance the point travels. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but I would hope it would be fairly trivial to implement in Fractal eXtreme.  This might push panzerboy's expertise a bit.  I hope he can pull it off.  I would have a go myself, but I can't compile the plugins in 64-bit mode. I might have a go myself!

Code:
simon0047-A {
  ; Set outside colouring to tdis
  ; Set Iterations to 150
  ;
  ; SMF - Added julia 28/04/2012
  ;       (works really well)
  if (ismand)
    z = 0
    p = pixel
  else
    z = pixel
    p = p1
  endif
  c = 0:
  z = abs(z*z)-abs(p*p)
  c = c + 1
  c < 50
}

Here's an example of the initial image it creates:

Here's the bit where I grovel... I am happy to wait until after the competition as I expect you are quite busy.

Many thanks,

Simon
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:03:43 AM by simon.snake » Logged

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »

One thing I've found which appears to be useful is a Chaospro formula file which defines the colouring methods used in FractInt.

This should help work out how the tdis parameter works.

http://www.chaospro.de/formulas/display.php?fileid=178

Hope that is of interest to someone.

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 05:55:45 AM »

Okay that looks simpler than my thinking.

Code:
		if (iOutside=="tdis")
{
distance=distance+cabs(z-prevZ);
prevZ=z;
}
With complex addition or subtraction, the reals add with the reals and imaginaries adds with imaginaries.

Oops maybe I've talked too soon.
distance is defined as real (floating point?), z and prevZ are complex.
There must be a conversion from the 2 number complex into a single number real.
Usually that means taking the square root of (real squared + imaginary squared).

A bit of reseach suggests that conversion from complex to real only takes the real component of the cpmplex number and ignores the imaginary.
http://www.chaospro.de/documentation/html/formulacompiler/languagereference/datatypes/real.htm

Phew!
That'll make things easier, no need to keep the previous imaginary values and most importanly no need to create a square root code for high precision.

simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 01:32:36 AM »

Looking up the FractInt trig identities, the definition for cabs is as follows:

Code:
cabs(x+iy) = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

When defining the HighPrecMath part of the code, you could simply make the distance a double, and use the DoubleFromFixed function to convert back to doubles, and then use the following:

Code:
double distance;

distance += sqrt(doublefromfixed(zrsqr+zisqr));

Seems like it should work to me, but then I am a novice... :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: