Logo by RedBug - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:29:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Apophysis on Mac (Using Wineskin Winery wrapper)  (Read 11910 times)
toxic-dwarf
Navigator

« on: March 31, 2013, 01:35:09 AM »

I have seen a few different versions of Apophysis that has been ported for Mac recently, but personally I haven't managed to get them to work apart from one, which I couldn't load any plugins with. So I have used a slightly different method to these ports and thought it might be nice to share how I did it with you guys so you can try it too.

I use Wineskin Winery which can create a 'wrapper' (it basically has all the frameworks and dll library files need to parse messages and assign computer resources to windows applications on a mac. )

*Either make sure your system installed X11 is up to date or install XQuartz - Xquartz is an open source bigger brother of X11 found here - http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/ )

1) Download and install Wineskin Winery - http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads

2) Open it and update the wrapper version (button marked 'update' currently Wineskin-2.5.9) and available engine click the '+' sign and pick the most recent (currently WS9Wine1.5.26)- should be fairly obvious from the window that appears on opening.

3) Select the 'create new/blank wrapper' button. Give your wrapper a name - I called mine simply APO. When it is creating the wrapper it will ask if you want to install Gecko and Mono (2 frameworks/libraries you won't need) - say 'cancel'.

4) It will then give you the option to 'show wrapper in finder' click that button.

5) Double click your newly made wineskin app and a little gui will appear. Select 'install software'

6) Grab yourself a download of the latest apophysis (I am currently using Apophysis7X15D from here - http://apophysis-7x.org ) extract the zip  and in your wineskin gui pick 'copy a folder inside' I pick copy rather than move so I keep a backup but either would work.

7) Pick the newly extracted folder, let wineskin do its thing and you'll probably be told 'THE PROGRAMS EXECUTABLE FILE CURRENTLY SET IN WINESKIN CANNOT BE FOUND' . . . . . .  Do not panic, just click the pull down menu and find Apophysis7x.exe or Apophysis.exe depending on which download you used.

Congratulations your Apophysis app should now work!!!

Just close the wineskin window and double click on your new wrapper - Apophysis should load fine.

I personally changed some of the settings of wineskin but I don't think it is essential.

This next bit may seem confusing, because oddly enough your new 'APO.app (or whatever you named it) actually has a wineskin.app inside it.

Right click on your wineskin (APO.app)  and select 'show package contents', then double click the 'wineskin' app that is inside. You should remember the window that pops up.
In the 'set screen options' section i have all three of the tickboxes i the lower right ticked (mac driver instead of x11 / decorate windows / auto detect gpu)
In the advanced section i go to 'options' and select 'try to shutdown nicely' , 'Focus follows mouse' . These setting should be self explanatory (if not check the help files) and you can now close this window with the little 'x' top right or from the menu bar.

To run Apophysis simply double click your home-made wineskin wrapper

To access the program folders for apophysis (to add plugins or scripts etc) you right click on your wineskin app and select 'show package contents' then navigate to drive_c/program files/'name of folder you picked to copy into wrapper' and all the relevant folders should be there.

*You can create an alias of this 'internal' folder to make access easier, but i found this can cause problems with backups/time machine so I just 'show package contents' each time i need access*

I hope that isn't too confusing and feel free to ask any questions if you're having trouble. I can't promise that I will be able to solve all your problems, but I can at least try and point you in the right direction. I've been using Wineskin wrappers to run many different windows apps on my mac (Apophysis, Mandelbulb3d, Dawn of War , Borderlands) so have a fair bit of experience with it.

Once i find more time I will make a basic wrapper with Apophysis pre-installed with a selection of plugins and make it available for download. But give this a try it's worth it!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: