Logo by MandelBRO - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 01:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Cross-eyed fractal stereograms  (Read 3510 times)
Description: A couple of "cross-eyed" stereograms of fractals.
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« on: October 11, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »

Here are a couple of is a "cross-eyed stereograms" of  3D Mandelbrot and Julia set fractals.

To view them, sit at a comfortable distance from your monitor and look at the dividing line between the images. Then hold your finger about halfway between your eyes and the screen so it appears just at the bottom of the image. Then look at your finger and slowly move it closer to your nose. This will cause you to cross your eyes. As your finger gets closer to your eyes, the left and right images will cross over and at some point you should see a stereoscopic view in your field of vision between the two images on the screen. It takes a little practice. Once you are able to see the stereo image, you should be able to hold your eyes in position and remove your finger.

I have trouble resolving these types of images, but I'm able to do it if I'm patient. I'm curious as to whether you folks are able to see the stereoscopic image. Please let me know.

The images were generated with FractalWorks, a free high performance fractal rendering program for Macintosh computers.

Regards,

Duncan C
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:15:27 PM »

I'm just impressed you have them stereo like this. For ages, the red/green ones were pervading the web, and even now, the stereo ones are relatively rare probably.

Anyway, nice pics and the second one looks like vienetta icecream. I think what you may have to do is license the design to ice cream manufacturers so we can start seeing ice cream produce in that shape.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:48:11 AM »

indeed it looks yummy cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:52:47 AM »

I'm just impressed you have them stereo like this. For ages, the red/green ones were pervading the web, and even now, the stereo ones are relatively rare probably.

Anyway, nice pics and the second one looks like vienetta icecream. I think what you may have to do is license the design to ice cream manufacturers so we can start seeing ice cream produce in that shape.

Twinbee,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have my app set up to produce both stereograms and red/green anaglyphs. The cross-eyed stereo ones are pretty hard for me to see, and give me a headache.

I think I may buy a TV screen stereoscope. those let you view side-by-side stereograms easily and without eye strain.

Regards,

Duncan C
wolfepaw
Alien

https://www.facebook.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:22:06 PM »

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  The first time I tried this, I couldn't get it to work.  But I just tried it again and "POW", there it was in 3D.  How in the world did you know how to do this?  I am so impressed.  It was really quite stunning.

Peggi Wolfe aka Wolfepaw
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  The first time I tried this, I couldn't get it to work.  But I just tried it again and "POW", there it was in 3D.  How in the world did you know how to do this?  I am so impressed.  It was really quite stunning.

wolfepaw,

The effect is pretty dramatic, isn't it?

I read up on creating stereo images. My program creates true 3D models of fractals. When I'm drawing a perspective projection of my 3D fractal, I move the "camera" position a little to the left, generate a left eye view, then move the camera a little to the right and generate a right eye view. I can create either left and right eye images for stereograms, or red/cyan 3D anaglyph images. You need colored 3D glasses for the anaglyphs, though, and it messes up the colors in the images somewhat.

Regards,

Duncan C
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: