Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:01:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractalforums.com Calendar #1 - in stores now!  (Read 10688 times)
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »

Would have loved to order several, but my test order proved that with shipping and exchange rate to the US left me a bill of around $63 for a calandar, and while I'd love to give one to several, that makes it kind of prohibitive
But...as I said, it looks spectacular and can't wait to get it.
Louis
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:22:03 AM by LMarkoya » Logged
haltenny
Safarist

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 10:05:58 PM »

Yep, I live in US and thought it would be around $60. Unfortunately I haven't worked since January and have to pass for now. Hopefully I'll be able to grab one first quarter next year or in the spring if they're still available...
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

You could always sell direct from here.  There's no need for a third party site when this site exists.  You'd just have to watch out for any taxes and such yourself - that's the only rel advantage to selling via ebay / amazon.  They handle much of the international red tape...

To be honest in the quantities concerned worrying about the various international tax regulations is pretty pointless - to put it here somewhere all that's required is a verified PayPal account to receive the money and the appropriate bit of code. Then anyone can pay in any currency from their PayPal account or even without (i.e. one-off payment by card via PayPal) - of course the more obscure the money conversion then the more PayPal charge for it wink

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »

Hmmm - just tried to find it on Ebay.co.uk - it's not there either and it appears that logging in to my UK account does not count on the German site sad

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »

My copy of the calendar just arrived. I ordered it from Germany through amazon.de, so no problems were expected and no problems occurred.

I want to praise the quality of the prints here, in case other prospective buyers might have doubts about that (I am not an expert on modern printing technologies, but I know a bit or two about image processing). The technical quality of the prints is really good. You won't spot pixels there, apparently every image has been re-rendered in high resolution for printing. Colour contrast and brightness contrast are high in all images (within the limits of the respective image content, of course). I would guess that whoever did the printing has carefully tuned parameters for each individual picture, to maintain as much detail as possible, but without any tricks like oversharpening or oversaturation. This is very solid craftsmanship there.

In short, the prints are really doing those fractals justice. I might even put one or two of those behind glass ...

P.S.: The calendar seems to have been pulled from amazon.de in the meantime, perhaps in favour of the new selling options? I was going to order a second one, despite the higher price, because I avoid Paypal like the plague.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:01:04 PM by hobold » Logged
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

... because I avoid Paypal like the plague.

so do i.
i also think that it's not so clever, to withdraw it completely from amazon. does it cost to have it there? all announcements so far pointed at amazon. so it's sold out now...

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

... because I avoid Paypal like the plague.

so do i.
i also think that it's not so clever, to withdraw it completely from amazon. does it cost to have it there? all announcements so far pointed at amazon. so it's sold out now...

Why avoid PayPal ? All other online payment systems are far more limited in scope and thus more prone to lack of redress after any unscrupulous behaviour on the part of staff - some are in fact plain spoofs. And *all* represent exactly the same risk otherwise.

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »

Why avoid PayPal ?
Not because of the 99.999% of transactions that they carry out promptly and nicely. But in the rare case that something does go wrong, they have a history of holding on to their clients' money forever, on no legal grounds. Over the years, German computer magazine c't published around two dozen "regrettable unique cases" that all followed this same pattern.

It seems to me that Paypal is yet another example of the classical computing risk of automating everything, but not taking possible failures into account. Entrusting my money to the hands of potential banksters is bad enough, but entrusting it to a stupid machine is worse. The only way to get the money back out of this black hole is either a court order or a public stink - because something like that finally prompts humans to look at those cases. Ordinary complaints through customer service do not trigger human investigation.

I am somewhat paranoid with regards to relying on infallible machinery. That was historically never a good idea. So I am trying to vote with my wallet, and not be part of Paypal's inevitable success.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »

... German computer magazine c't published around two dozen "regrettable unique cases" that all followed this same pattern.

exactly my point. paypal is only a useless additional source of errors, without providing any security.

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »

Just received the calendar and wanted to say that the quality is outstanding, great work Christian!
Sharpness can't be better, for all images - and i will definitely put all on the wall  cheesy
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »

@jesse nice, that you received it in one piece, if you have the original be sure to post some images, so that the need of other will rise, still 50+ laying around here!
but ordering is now only working via direct mail!!!! ( click banner for ordering !)

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 05:57:47 PM »

yours are reserved!
Yep, I live in US and thought it would be around $60. Unfortunately I haven't worked since January and have to pass for now. Hopefully I'll be able to grab one first quarter next year or in the spring if they're still available...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »

@jesse nice, that you received it in one piece, if you have the original be sure to post some images, so that the need of other will rise, still 50+ laying around here!

I don't want to disintegrate it by now, so all are up on the wall.. but behind each other for now.  smiley

If this charge will be limited at 100 pieces, this first ff calendar might become an expensive cult object in several years, that is for sure!
 A Beer Cup
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »

ok, i'm not jesse but here's my appetizer:

you don't really want to miss that?  afro

i can confirm - both artistic and print quality is fantastic through all 13 pages! A Beer Cup

haltenny
Safarist

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 02:56:18 PM »

yours are reserved!

That is very kind of you! I'll make every effort to order as soon as possible. smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: