Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 01:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Found A Way To Pause A Render. Sort Of...  (Read 2396 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: July 07, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »

I was ready to leave for my employment this morning and had a render going in Mandelbulb 3D which ran all night, but despite the original estimate of 10 hours (which would have left me with an hour to spare) it said it still wanted 2 hours to finish  (and then there's the shadows calculation).

I couldn't be late, and didn't want to stop the render or leave the computer on all day, so I just left the render going and put the computer to sleep.

Sure enough, I just got home, woke up the 'puter, and it picked up right where it left off.

Not a true pause feature, but if you only want to pause a render while you go out (as opposed to freeing up processor cycles for other tasks) this trick works nicely   afro

Not sure if anyone else will find this helpful, but I'm posting it anyhow.   evil

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cytotox
Alien

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »

I couldn't be late, and didn't want to stop the render or leave the computer on all day, so I just left the render going and put the computer to sleep.

Sure enough, I just got home, woke up the 'puter, and it picked up right where it left off.

Not a true pause feature, but if you only want to pause a render while you go out (as opposed to freeing up processor cycles for other tasks) this trick works nicely   afro
Not sure if anyone else will find this helpful, but I'm posting it anyhow.   evil

Well, I really appreciate this info. I will test it on my PC; if it works, I'm sure that I will use this trick from time to time (for the same reason that you stated above).
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »

Glad you found it helpful.

Not sure if it's OS Dependent, but it worked on Vista, so take that for what it's worth...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »

Works on Win 7, as does hibernating, which is perhaps better because you can unplug when a storm comes or if you go away. Most apps that 'render' survive sleep/suspend/hibernate unphased...   afro

causality ignores the persecutory illusions of free will
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »

I'm using hibernation very often also under Linux. I can't render overnight because I can't sleep when my computer is working (noise from fans).

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: