Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Riemann fractals  (Read 6138 times)
msltoe
Iterator

« on: June 27, 2011, 03:33:03 AM »

Inverted density Mandelboxes have some features that look like Riemann spheres. It follows that it might be possible to build a similar fractal directly from the stereographic projection/Riemann equations. There's a lot of possible ways to do this. Remember the one hobold invented? http://www.fractalforums.com/theory/alternate-co-ordinate-systems/15/

Here's another variation using the stereographic projection transformations from Wikipedia.

a=0;b=0;c=1;
 while ((norm<8 )&&(iter<imax)) {

r=sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z);
    x=x/r;y=y/r;z=z/r;
    s = x/(1-z);
    t = y/(1-z);
    w1=1+s*s+t*t;

s=fabs(sin(pi*s));
    t=fabs(sin(pi*t));

r=-0.25+pow(r*r,w1);

w=1+s*s+t*t;
    x=r*2*s/w;y=r*2*t/w;z=r*(-1+s*s+t*t)/w;

x+=a;y+=b;z+=c;
    norm = x*x+y*y+z*z;

iter++;
 }

* pollen2.jpg (137.16 KB, 720x686 - viewed 549 times.)
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:37:01 AM »

Wow, that is one beautiful fractal msltoe!  A Beer Cup
Seem to have lots of "holy Grail:ish" details... do you have a zoomed in image?  afro

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »

Wow, that is one beautiful fractal msltoe!  A Beer Cup
Seem to have lots of "holy Grail:ish" details... do you have a zoomed in image?  afro

Well, some zones are strongly stretched, great formula anyway! It's provocative wink wink

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »

I tried to resist... But simply can't grin

I have coded it, but some unwanted details show up; and he pretends a negative radius power huh? to work

But the image looks identical to msltoe's! I added many extra-goodies, hope he don't mind. grin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:43:47 PM by DarkBeam, Reason: riemann m3f is incl in mb3d now » Logged

msltoe
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »

DarkBeam and Kraftwerk : Thanks for the encouragement.
DarkBeam: I'm sure there are better variants out there. This is just to get your curiosity started. I'm pretty sure we should be able to make something like Romanesco broccoli with a little bit of ingenuity and luck.

-mike
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »

The problem of this formula is that uses "unstable" functions like sin and exp. The critical area is x<0 & y2+z2<something, that should be cutted off... Anyway I have swapped x and z to make it more hybridable smiley a good variant is with a neg scale...

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »

If you shift by pi/2 s and t before the sin(), you obtain a set where the empty slots are filled in by new "cactuses" cheesy cheesy cheesy

Can it be done in automatic please? agree

Mandelbulb3Dv17{
P.....S....O/...w....2...............1.......s1E................................
........................................kz1........A./..................y.2.....
................/ME//....6Eo....U.....E2.....omEQgisq6rD/..........c./...w1....U
z.....kD32../..........wz..................................2.....y1...sD...../..
.w1...sDYsAIxzzzjz1..........WAbUdisqcljRRxgCKosEwnYRydIKa5uzwPN9SaPRGyDFHQlSHA1
Iw1iNMIOip7tzqF/G0ZZtVyD......YP..............kD.2....sD..kz....................
.............................UTRU4.Yq/O.cQ5c/.wRU4.Ks/O.kX5c/UMSU4..............
.....................wzzz1.U..6.P....M4...EB....W....61....F....8/...I1....UJl32
...U.iVFwxDE./ozPM2Tzz7lz16.mc..zXCc.El18XGQeGyDjvIRhrVAkz1............28.kFrA0.
FWb96aAIVzvh1se7Umvxz0........../6U0.wzzz1................................E.0c..
zzzz.................................2U.8.kzzzD.................................
/6U0.wzzz1...................................2CcN/UvNP6.eeWCNq0.yRii.EJJUk1f..XR
S1.mx3CcN/UvNP6.QsLsUa3.ibhV..bTV1OK.sSq40.ly3CcN/UvNP6.MwLsUa3.ibhV.kqTV1OK.sSq
40.kz3CcN/UvNP6...EsUa3.eeWCNq0.IJ36wk8.wyLsUa3.................................
E6...6....E.....I....c....UIdJKPVtaPm.kPrJaQ.........................MU/4.......
...................................................wz..........kTIsuFVf5tzn53iSI
suFyz.........zD................................................................
.....................2.....3....8....6JOZpKMitaA................................
4MU/..........................................................zD..........A.....
........................kz1.....................................................
................................}

my "optimized" version of your formula with the "goodies"...

(rotate xyz)
    r=scale/sqrt(z*z+y*y+x*x);
    x=x*r;z=z*r;y=y*r;r=fabs(r);
    s = z/(1-x);
    t = y/(1-x);

w=1+s*s+t*t;

s=fabs(sin(pi*s+ssh));
    t=fabs(sin(pi*t+tsh));

r=-0.25+pow(r,rp*w);w=2/(1+s*s+t*t); // It pretends rp=-2 and not +2, why? I've found the answer, since I use 1/r instead of r cheesy
    // originally; w=1+s*s+t*t;z=r*2*s/w;y=r*2*t/w;
    // x=r*(-1+s*s+t*t)/w=r*(1-2/w); optimized & subst...
    x=r*(1-w);
    y=r*t*w;z=r*s*w;

x+=xsh;y+=ysh;z+=zsh;
    norm = z*z+y*y+x*x;
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:30:51 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

msltoe
Iterator

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 03:52:01 AM »

DarkBeam: What if every iteration was filled? Would it get too fuzzy?

-mike
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: