Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 06:26:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb 3D Tutorial for Beginners.  (Read 13420 times)
JodyVL
Safarist

Everybody's a fool but whose fool are you?

« on: June 27, 2011, 02:38:57 AM »

At last, I've started the tutorial. I'll be working on it over the next two or three weeks, more or less. Could you guys go over this first post to make sure I've got everything down accurately so far? Thanks smiley

http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/2011/06/mandelbulb-3d-tutorial-for-beginners.html

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
DonTen
Alien

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »

Thank you for this. I'll be passing your tutorial on to some of my friends who are fascinated by the 3D Mandelbulb but intimidated by the software.  afro
JodyVL
Safarist

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »

My pleasure!  cheesy Though it's kind of like the blind leading the blind right now blindfold, since I still have so much to learn.

My Fractals and Fractal Art for Beginners blog! : http://mandelubber.blogspot.com/
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »

I see my answer from a few minutes ago in a different post hasn't revealed any secrets to you because they are all more or less in your tutorial   undecided

Just a couple of additions (if you don't mind): The walking button is just that; it "walks" you through the fractal, except that your camera has a very good eyesight: It doesn't matter how close you get, the image is always sharp. These buttons are also very smart: If you get closer to an object, the buttons take smaller steps, so you don't "overshoot" the fractal border. ( I think this is done by some form of rough Distance Estimation, but I'm getting on shaky ground here, so ask Jesse  wink). By checking "fixed zoom and steps" you tell M3D to ignore the proximity of parts of the fractal and just use the defined amount in the "sliding + Walking" and "Rolling and looking" dialogs.

As to saving: maybe you should add something about the fact that m3i files can become rather big. My favourite format is 3600 X 2400 pixels which creates an m3i file of 150 MB, while m3p files are a measly 2 kB...

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
JodyVL
Safarist

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »

Hehe... Thank you for all that, Madman. Actually, I have a few questions about that post which I'll ask there. As for what you've added here:

Thank you!  grin .. I think I'm gonna copy and paste some of your words exactly, in an edit of that page. You've really helped me understand the nav buttons a whole lot more.  dancing banana

So walking is basically getting as close to the edge of the fractal as possible, and the closer you are, the more detail you can see. And how that detail appears to us depends on the Calculation tab in the main window(?).

I'll definitely add that about the size of saved files!
 A Beer Cup

Lashington
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »

A fantastic tutorial. You have started me on my first teetering steps with Mandelbulb. I will be reading over and over till I get it into my thick skull. Once again thank you for a great tutorial.
JodyVL
Safarist

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:17:59 AM »

My pleasure Lashington! Good to know my tutorial is being used cheesy

I've been quite busy recently with various things, but I have learnt quite a bit since my last Tutorial post so I'll be adding a few more pages soon smiley ... Please share anything you accomplish here on the forums so we can see what you do. Each new person brings something new to the game. I'm enjoying my "Fractal Worlds" idea at the moment, for example.

Cheers! A Beer Cup

kameelian
Iterator

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »

Hi there JodyVL,

I haven't checked out your tutorials for some time (been busy 'doing').

They're really coming on.

I'm sure they're a great help to many. will check in more detail later.

Intrigued by your 'fractal worlds' comment. I like your 'sentinels'.

I too am lost in 'worlds' at the moment - but now I have to go in to work.  sad

regards
Kam

Mandelbulb3D - Like Christmas Every morning wink
JodyVL
Safarist

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »

Hi Kam smiley

Like I said to Lash, you should post your fractal explorations somewhere... I love to see what other beginners do, especially if they've learnt what they know from my Tut cheesy

Yeah - I too have to work now. Highly annoying.  head banging wall

Aura-Indigo
Forums Freshman

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »

As I've just started with M3D these tutorials were very helpful.
Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: