Logo by CorneliaYoder - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 04:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: (Mandelbulb 3D) Fractal related.. sort of.  (Read 2309 times)
DonTen
Alien

« on: April 30, 2011, 01:07:29 PM »

Here's what I mean by fractal related.

I've been having a few problems with MB3D which I believe are more likely to be hardware related than software related, hence the post here rather than elsewhere.

What kind of problems?

Example 1: Occasionally rendering with MB3D will cause my PC shutdown\crash without warning.
Example 2: Rendering a sequence of keyframes will cause the PC to shutdown\crash, usually around the 400+ frames area.

I suspect these two problems are actually the same problem, i.e. CPU temperature related, (the renders that crash are of the type that should take upward of 30 minutes and rendering the keyframes is also a 'long haul' task).
I plan to strip down my mainboard and rebuild from scratch to ensure that heatsinks, ram etc are all seated properly. Before I do this though I was wondering if there is anything else likely to cause these problems, if there are any other things I should be checking out or if others have experienced anything similar.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Spec:
Athlon II X4 630 Processor.
4 GB Ram.
Vista SP2.
ATI Radeon HD 4250 onboard graphics.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »

Try to check the CPU temperature with a dedicated freeware. I had the same problem with my laptop: it was automatically shutting down when the CPU temperature went over 98°C. To avoid this, remove dust from the fan or buy a stronger fan or reduce the number of CPUs in the Calculation tab.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
DonTen
Alien

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:15:38 PM »

Thanks bib,

Your suggestion regarding checking CPU temperature was very helpful.

I tried the temperature test while running one of the 'problem' renders on all cores. Up to 93c. (Very hot!)
Stripped, cleaned and reassembled the CPU fan assembly, and applied a new layer of thermal paste and now the same render is running at approx 50c on all cores.

Hopefully that's the problem nailed smiley

Thanks again.

Don Whitaker
Conqueror

KitchenDon
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

I had a similar problem recently, DonTen. I'd been keeping my system's innards clean, or so I thought. Forgot about the fins on my giant heatsink. They got gunked up in-betweem and caused some serious overheating.  Poor CPUs. Sometimes I think mine acts up just so it can take a break.  fiery

My digital creations: let me show you them
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: