Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 08:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Alternative rendering Algorithm?  (Read 3782 times)
tomot
Iterator

« on: March 23, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »

I'm not a programmer, so I make the following observations based on previous rendering methods, used by other rendering programs.

The line by line rendering method is very very time consuming, since it reevaluates each line individually, without any consideration as to similar pixel color combination's that the scene may contain. Some programs use a smaller window, or windows (some dedicate one window for each CPU) to help evaluate similar pixel colors. Having arrived at the final color they then concentrate only on other pixel colors in that scene that have not been determined yet, to produce the final image.

I'm making these observations based on a question posed on the subject of pixel output.
http://www.fractalforums.com/fractal-related-links/how-to-render-large-images/msg30066/#new
the final 5000 x 4000 pixel image took 1HR 20min to produce on a Quad core 2.4 CPU machine, with 4 GB Ram, running Win 7

Is there a possibliity to engage an alternative rendering method, of the type I described, in the future?

curious!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:15:02 AM »

Short answer is no, not as far as fractals are concerned and certainly not for 2D projections of 3D+ fractals.
Any attempt to do this will result in loss of detail in almost any type of render but in the case of fractals the loss of detail is completely disproportionate to the advantage of using such methods - they have a use for quick previews (e.g. the periodicity checking and guessing options in Ultra Fractal) but should not be used for final renders, especially those intended for hardcopy purposes.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: