Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 03:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Virtualdub alternative question?  (Read 7624 times)
Bibby
Forums Newbie

« on: June 29, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »

Hi,

I use virtualdub to make my animations, and I save them uncompressed to get the best quality I can. But it saves as .avi, sometimes up to 30GB in size for about a 5 minute movie. Storage is no issue, but playing back through my media server, even through a wired network, is sometimes jittery.

I have no idea how to change codecs etc, or even if it can. Using something like AnyVideoConverter allows saving the uncompressed movie into a different codec using less storage space, but the quality always falls a bit.

I like to use virtualdub because I also use synthesizers to make accompanying music, and virtualdub lets me use the framerate adjust function. This allows making a video the exact same length as the music track, fully synchronized.

Would something like Adobe Premier do this? I've had a big search and found this thread quite useful: http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-3d/animation-t9648/

I'm also recovering from a severe traumatic brain injury I sustained 2 years ago, so my cognitive skills are flawed, so apologies if I ask anything stupid.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:49:09 PM »

For compression I usually use handbrake https://handbrake.fr/
you can find a good compromise between filesize and quality. I'd use h265 if your mediaplayer can play this (my chromecast can't so I use h264 with quality settings around 15.

I guess the filesize is the cause for jitters. Sequences with many details can easily go beyond 100mbit per second.

you can change compression in virtualdub itself under video/compression. depending on what codecs you have installed. It doesn't work too well. I sometimes use xvid if the filesizes are too large, like in my last 1hour 4k zoom.

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Bibby
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:26:14 PM »

I tried installing handbrake as I used to use it with winblows 7, but no joy on 10. Installs, but then just crashes when you try to select a file.
PieMan597
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »

Try FFmpeg, it is a command line application, but it does a good reliable job of compressing video- it has compressed 700 gb of video to 8 gb for me with a very small decrease in quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: