Logo by fractalwizz - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber lights tab  (Read 1227 times)
Description: Question on difference "predefined" / "auxiliary" / "random"
Ike1970
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »

Good morning,

I have a question concerning the lighting tab in Mandelbulber (Vers. .991).

At the bottom of the rendering window is the possibility of placing lights, 4 alltogether.
Here they are called "auxiliary".  In the lights tab these are called "predefined".  So far
so good. 

But what is it with the labels in "Common parameters", where you have a field to input the
"number of auxiliary lights"?   I thought there were only four, i.e. those which you can place
with mouseclick in the render tab (and labeled "predefined" in the lights tab).

Then there is a third panel where one can enter parameters for "random lights", and the
posititon of the centre of distribution for these random lights can be again set my mousclick
in the render window.

So I´m a little confused.   1.  Auxiliary lights 1-4 are obviously the ones called "predefined", but why are
                                        there only four if right above one has the possibilty to enter the number of
                                        auxiliary lights?
                                    3.  I suppose "random lights" then are something necessary for ambient occlusion (?)

I have seen the image of a fractal containing many many colorfull lights, like the ones you can set as predefined,
that´s why I thought I could multiply the number of predefined lights with the "number of auxiliary" lights panel,
since "predefined" apparently concords with "auxiliary light position" in the render window.

Hoping not to have caused confusion where there actually is none, thank you for any suggestions,
take care,
Ike

Then, two
Side B
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

You can have 0 random lights and still use ambient occlusion.

The predefined lights are the ones you can place.
The auxiliary lights are random extra lights.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: