Logo by kr0mat1k - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 06:47:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Expanding Aura  (Read 973 times)
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« on: March 13, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »

Expanding Aura

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=6107

Selfmade Mandelbox-like 2D formula:

x=x-(x-trunc(x))*2
y=y-(y-trunc(y))*2
m=x*x+y*y
x=x/m
y=y/m

"Exponential smoothing" inside coloring formula from UF5
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:44:00 PM by Kali » Logged

Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »

The nested circles produce a really nice effect!

Using totally different methods, I made a fractal two years ago which I titled Aura.

I like how you're modifying the mandelbox approach. Here's an additional idea I've been exploring: Treat the 2D mandelbox vector as a complex variable. For example, using Tglad's notation, I write formulas like

v = s*[ballFold(r, f*boxFold(v))]^2 + c

The idea is that the modified v has two components, so we can pretend it's a complex number and perform any complex arithmetic operation on it. I've started a gallery containing these sorts of pictures.

Fortran will rise again
Kali
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:27:01 AM »

Interesting pic, Ken... and another coincidence!  smiley

I like the idea of using complex numbers with the folds. I already saw the images in your gallery, but didn't know they were generated that way. BTW, I liked the tic-tac-toe a lot  smiley

I'll give it a try and see what happens with complex numbers and my linear folding method.

Another thing that has me thinking, is a possible relation of the mandelbox with this patterns, remember?
I'm not ready to fully describe my idea yet, but in short terms: I think there's also a square vs. circle relation in the patterns I discovered, just like the box & ball fold of the Mandelbox.

Fractal Ken
Fractal Lover

Proud to be 2D

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29:40 AM »

Another thing that has me thinking, is a possible relation of the mandelbox with this patterns, remember?
I'm not ready to fully describe my idea yet, but in short terms: I think there's also a square vs. circle relation in the patterns I discovered, just like the box & ball fold of the Mandelbox.
Offhand, the relationship isn't evident to me, but I'm probably just being dense. smiley  I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Fortran will rise again
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: