Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:07:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Collection of knowledge-expanding YouTube-videos  (Read 2740 times)
Description: and potentially their related websites.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:32 PM »

About a year ago, I started basically amassing knowledge related YouTube channels.
That list expanded quickly and often in bursts.
I have a feeling that some of you might be interested in those...
Since they are so many, I'll try to group them in useful ways. And give a short description of the groups.
The order inside a category is how it shows up in Youtube's list, so probably alphabetical...

University Lecture Channels (Videos between 1-2 hours each. For the patient ones who really want to know about various topics)
MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
NPTEL - all seven Indian Institutes of Technology and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
Oxford
Standford University
Berkley - University of California
Yale

Channels of Brady Haran, in collaboration with Nottingham University:
Backstage Science
Bibledex
DeepSky Videos - Astronomy
FavScientist
FoodsKey
Nottingham Science - behind the scenes as well as additional info from other channels if the videos got too long
NumberPhile - Facts around Numbers
PeriodicVideos - About all the elements
Sixty Symbols - Lots of sciency things
Words of the World - Entymiology and fun facts about words

Channels of TED:
TED-Education - those are very different from your average TED talks
TED Fellows
TED Directors
TEDx - independend TED Events
TEDxYouth - intependend TED Events of young(er) people

Focused Learning:
KhanAcademy -Youtube channel and WIP translations to other languages.
Topics include Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History,SmArt History (on Youtube and Vimeo), Finance (covering the current financial crisis), Economics and more.
Udacity and its Youtube Channel, focusing on programming and math for programming

Vlogbrothers:
Crashcourse - currently about history and biology. Will probably eventually cover most any topic, just like Khanacademy
SciShow - In some ways similar to Crashcourse, more exhaustive topic-range but less focused.
VlogBrothers - covers less scientific and more trivial topics. More casual (although the other two are really casual too)

Other channels:
1veritasium - focusing on physics, especially trying to resolve typical misconceptions
Art Of The Problem - focusing on single problems and showing how those problems got tackled throughout history
BigThink - interviews knowledgable people around given topics
Brit Cruise - Introduction to Lego Robotics, meant for Khan Academy Summercamps (thus for children) - not very exhaustive yet. (YET.)
CGP Grey - generic knowledge factory
CogSai - relatively young channel about the human mind
Smarter Every Day - a plethora of essentially science-at-home videos, mostly physics
Dr James Tanton - Mathsy Stuff
James Sanders - About Education
Keenan Crane - THIS ONE might be especially interesting for some of you. Amazing guy who wrote a couple of cutting-edge geometry papers for 3D Computer geometry. Amazing because he really tries to make it easy for people to understand his work. He also has a Website
Evolutionary Computing - Doesn't seem to be very active anymore these days but he programmed a nice evolutionary program that comes up with little box-creatures which are trying to solve some simple tasks.
Fractal Forums NEWS - you should know that one, I hope
Martin Magnusson - Probably more interesting is his website AI Programmer - deductive reasoning.
Mathview - Mostly mathy stuff
MinecraftMonkeys - Guys building a fully working computer in Minecraft, documenting it all and teaching how computers work while doing so. (Mostly German, sometimes with English subtitles)
MinutePhysics - mostly physics, explained in videos between, as he puts it himself, 10sec and 10min.
MIT K to 12 - collaborational efford between MIT and KhanAcademy, having MIT Students produce educational videos, targeted at Kindergarden-to-12-year-olds, with a basically unbounded range of subjects. - Fairly young project. Will probably mature and become way better over the next couple of years.
MITx - will hopefully eventually become a place to have university-level (MIT) education broken down in KhanAcademy style videos. Last time I looked, there were more videos. Maybe they unlisted them or something... Due to that, it currently only includes a single video. But maybe they will come back eventually... - they are trying to make it possible to be fully educated over the web and then actually earn a degree.
New School Venture Funds - trying to fund all kinds of projects related to education and improving school conditions. On the channel, they have a bunch of interviews with leaders of said project.
NumericalMethodsGuy - MORE mathy stuff, focusing on Numerical methods for computers.
SaiZai - Mostly Lectures about language. Fairly old stuff by now, mostly. - Same guy as CogSai above but entirely different style
Singingbanana - silly name for what it is but I guess that's part of the whole thing. One of the main "stars" of numberphile (In Brady Hadan's section) 's own YouTube channel, thus, obviously, mathsy stuff but also other things
RSA - a bunch of nice talks and even nicer "visual lectures" (RSAnimate) about all kinds of topics. Not very sciency but a lot of excellent thoughts.
ThinkVisually - "visual lectures", e.g. in the style of RSAnimate. - in fact, it's the channel of the guys who make those RSAnimates, or at least the animation-part.
TyYann - even more mathy stuff
Udiprod - small video animations explaining stuff like sorting algorithms, apparent forces of inertia, how light travels in Special Relativity, etc.
ViHart - MATHY STUFF. Best. Mathy. Stuff. EVER!!!1111!1!one - that, and Snakes.
VSauce and VSauce2 - generic stuff, sometimes knowledge, sometimes trivia.

Ok, that's it. That's ALL my current subscribed knowledge channels. I hope you'll find this list useful.
If you know any others to add to that list, GO FOR IT. I'd love to expand my collection cheesy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:10:35 AM by kram1032 » Logged
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »

Just now I've found another great source of videos.
Coursera.org is apparently a website where all sorts of universities can have their courses be brought to the web.
However, sadly, not all of them are fully freely available.
Though there is a silver lining:
Stanford University offers a lot of their courses to be watched online for free!
It's essentially Standford University lectures but split up into managable ~10min videos.
Not all the courses are free to watch but most are.
Check out wether a course has a "Preview" option. That's what you want to watch.

Notably, there is this awesome course on Machine Learning, done by Andrew Ng - he already did a course before but it was the full lecture and it had fairly low quality, so it's really exciting to see this redone and refined into managable online content.
There is a lot of other really nice courses up there. Check'em out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: