Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 05:33:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Running Windows software on a Mac  (Read 6534 times)
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »

Finally got around to trying the trial version of Crossover on this Mac Mini for running Utra Fractal.

Mac Mini OSX10.6.6 2GHz Core2Duo
running UF using Crossover Games trial version
(commercially supported WINE) via a W2000 "bottle":

UF Benchmark 1:
Window: 59.42 & 59.86 = 59.64secs  (around just 4 secs slower than native Windows)
Disk: 4mins 30secs (30 secs or so slower than native Windows)

UF Benchmark 2:
Window: 177.07 & 177.79 = 177.42secs (around just 10secs slower than native Windows)
Disk: 23mins 43secs  (around 3mins slower than native Windows)

Note that I hadn't registered UF on this system yet so the times for render to disk may be slower than they should be due to the trial version message being added - also my hard drive is relatively slow and relatively full smiley

Not quite as fast as a native Windows 2GHz core2duo or as using native Windows via bootcamp but *massively* better than the relatively appalling benchmark given when using Parallels - and presumably also massively better than using VMware.

Plus has the big advantage that Mac owners *do not* need a copy of any Windows OS installed.
Only drawback in UF is that using larger browser thumbnails doesn't work properly but restricting the size to around 70*70 works perfectly, otherwise no problems (so far).

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »

Glad it's working for you.

I never ran any benchmark stuffs for UF on my mac, and the "benchmark" file for Mandelbulb 3D was not complex enough to be revealing much of anything, but I noticed Mandelbulb 3D does run many formulas faster than my pc.  Others slower.

It's not consistent in that regard, but as long as it runs and runs stable - that's all I find important!

If you get Chaoscope or Mutatorkammer running smoothly, let me know!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: