Logo by jodyvl - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 8653 times)
Description: Personal Picture
mario837
Iterator

mario837

« on: March 06, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »

I have been unable to upload my avatar. I used 80x100 size in .jpg and .gif and tried to upload the picture without luck. Even I uploaded to "My images" here http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=5828  but I can't even make this work.
I am wondering what can I possibly be doing wrong.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »

I have been unable to upload my avatar. I used 80x100 size in .jpg and .gif and tried to upload the picture without luck. Even I uploaded to "My images" here http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=5828  but I can't even make this work.
I am wondering what can I possibly be doing wrong.

If that's the url you used for linking to the avatar, it wont work.  That's the page url - the image is at http://nocache-nocookies.digitalgott.com/gallery/5/3241_06_03_11_10_09_54.gif  (found by viewing the actual image through the context menu)  (right click menu on windows - option click on a mac - probably something else on linux!)

Hope that helps   A Beer Cup

EDIT - I took the liberty of modifying your profile so the avatar shows properly   afro

As I suspected - you used the page url, not the image url.  Now you know how to change it at will   cheesy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:34:03 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
mario837
Iterator

mario837

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:02:43 AM »

Thank you very much!  Now I am a happy owner of an avatar smiley
I never thought that the image may have a different url than the page. head banging wall
champagne toast
wmauzey
Alien

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:38:33 AM »

What is the size of the avatar picture used in the profile? (mario mentioned 80 x 100 pixels) but I could not find any size reference for it. I just do not want to load the wrong size, either outragously big or really small Noticed he tried to upload it but do not see his image. Once I know what the size is I am going to use the upload and browse in the select to post image.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »

80x100 is correct, everything got scaled to this size, so keep your avatar as small as 80x100px

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
wmauzey
Alien

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »

Thank You! Curious, is it posted somewhere, or is this a standard size used? Tried to even find it
through the SMF (Simple Machine Website). Anyways, thanks again! Hope it does not show up in
one the gallerys instead. Ha Ha.

Karmic Beats
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 06:09:08 AM »

80x100 is correct, everything got scaled to this size, so keep your avatar as small as 80x100px

I too am having problems uploading an Avatar.  First I downloaded someone's an avatar from this forum right from the page it was displayed on.  I saw that it was 100 x 100 and seemed to be the same size as others I saw in this forum.

Then I resized my avatar accordingly and it still does not upload.

Then after reading this post I resized my avatar to 80 X 80 and it still does not work.

At Karmic Beats I provide binaural, isochronic, solfeggio frequencies, ASMR, meditations and meditation advice, free of charge to all who choose to benefit. I put my positive energies into the beats and through them out into the cosmos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKlawdek
Karmic Beats
Forums Freshman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »

I have also tried linking to  my avatar pic on picassa web album.  That did not work either.  It also seems that most people do not have avatars here.  That is odd it is an art site.  Most of the people who do have avatars are moderators or senior members.  SO are regular members prohibited from having an avatar?

At Karmic Beats I provide binaural, isochronic, solfeggio frequencies, ASMR, meditations and meditation advice, free of charge to all who choose to benefit. I put my positive energies into the beats and through them out into the cosmos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKlawdek
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »

I have also tried linking to  my avatar pic on picassa web album.  That did not work either.  It also seems that most people do not have avatars here.  That is odd it is an art site.  Most of the people who do have avatars are moderators or senior members.  SO are regular members prohibited from having an avatar?

I checked the permissions and it looks as if all members can use avatars, but I do recall issues with uploading them from years ago.

Mine is hosted on Photobucket, and I have not changed it since my first day here 9 years ago.

We have a test member account and I will go experiment with that and report back what happens.  It may be as simple as the image host.  Can the image you want to use be posted here in this thread?  Using the [img] tag?

Then I can try setting it as an avatar for you to see if it is the image host, permissions, or something else.

Sorry for the troubles, but I'm sure we can get this sorted out!

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Fractal Forums Team
Deputy Administrator
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »

We have a test member account and I will go experiment with that and report back what happens.  It may be as simple as the image host.

Hi.

The forum does have issues uploading avatars.  I could not make it work that way.

But as the Lovely Little Fishy shows, external image hosting does work for general members' avatars.

Please check the URL you are using, as once before  (in this very thread)  a user was pasting the wrong info to get his avatar working.

If you still can't get it working, post either the image or it's URL and we'll attempt to make it work for you.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 01:11:50 PM »

I've had this problem before. Uploading the avatar directly did not work. So I used the url of an image. But the image I used is a square, does the image get stretched to a 8:10 ratio?

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »

I've had this problem before. Uploading the avatar directly did not work. So I used the url of an image. But the image I used is a square, does the image get stretched to a 8:10 ratio?

Hi.

That is a question for our administrator.  I honestly never noticed, but it is entirely possible it alters the maximum width or maximum height - however I doubt it cares about aspect ratio.

But I am not familiar with much of the server side of things, more just with the forum settings and stuff.

I'll try a couple experiments to see what is going on.  Thanks for pointing that out   afro

EDIT - I just did a "view image" on your avatar and the image is HUGE!

It's best to link to an image closer to actual avatar image sizes.  So yes - the forum does resize the image for display, but the image loading is still the original so it's a huge waste of bandwidth to use such a large image for an avatar.

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »

Hi.

That is a question for our administrator.  I honestly never noticed, but it is entirely possible it alters the maximum width or maximum height - however I doubt it cares about aspect ratio.

But I am not familiar with much of the server side of things, more just with the forum settings and stuff.

I'll try a couple experiments to see what is going on.  Thanks for pointing that out   afro

EDIT - I just did a "view image" on your avatar and the image is HUGE!

It's best to link to an image closer to actual avatar image sizes.  So yes - the forum does resize the image for display, but the image loading is still the original so it's a huge waste of bandwidth to use such a large image for an avatar.
Ok thanks. You are completely right about the size. It was too large. I've changed it, but the ratio still changes.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »

I'll try a couple experiments to see what is going on.  Thanks for pointing that out   afro

OK, yes.  The forum is setting a maximum width of 80 pixels and a maximum height of 100 pixels.

So images that go over on both will have their aspect ratio changed.  If you really want it square you'll have to resize your original to 80 x 80.

By the by, there is no problem hosting your avatars here in our gallery if anybody needs an image host for theirs and doesn't want to open an account with another site.

Meanwhile, I'll ask CKleinhuis about increasing avatar sizes.  At least making the max sizes equal for width and height.

I think with the new computers and monitors a common avatar size is actually 250 x 250 and max file size of 750 kb to 1 MB.

I know that is a setting on a few other forums I frequent.

This may be related to the fact that we use an older version of the forum software and upgrading will lose some key features we really like, so we wont be upgrading the forum software for the foreseeable future.

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »

I'm ok with increasing avatar size, but filesize shouldn't be over 100k.
even for 250*250 i think 50kb would be sufficient for nice quality. my avatar now has 5,7kb and I don't see any jpg-artifacts..

I often come here with my mobile phone that has a datalimit of 200mb per month.

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: