Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 01:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: A suggestion for Mandelbulb 3d...  (Read 2239 times)
Description: A suggestion (well, plea really!)
ianjam
Forums Newbie

« on: February 22, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »

Would it be possible to add a messagebox, in case either the "Stop" or the "X" buttons are clicked accidentally during rendering?  I, like a complete twat, managed to accidentally click the "Stop" button 16 hours into a 20 hour render.  I was not pleased.  If there had been a messagebox, "Render incomplete - are you sure you wish to stop?" (Yes, No) then my but would not still be sore from the self-kicking I administered>

Yes, I know, the obvious answer is, "Don't click anything while rendering", but people make mistakes (especially me...).

Thanks for your time.

PS - Mandelbulb is the most awesome program I have used to date!  Keep up the good work!

Ian
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »

Although I'm not into self mutilation, either in a physcial or mental sense  wink, I admit that ianjam has a point... I may have lost a render or two (and a parameter set or two...) by clicking randomly on the wrong part of the screen... I do in general hate programs that ask me if I'm sure that I want to quit, but in this case I see the added value  cheesy

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »

I may have lost a render or two (and a parameter set or two...) by clicking randomly on the wrong part of the screen...

But why are you doing this, why?
(You know, parameters are saved on program close, so start and open txt to restore params)

I do in general hate programs that ask me if I'm sure that I want to quit, but in this case I see the added value  cheesy

I have to agree, after 15 minutes rendering or so, a reminder could be ok  smiley
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »

Although I'm not into self mutilation, either in a physcial or mental sense  wink, I admit that ianjam has a point... I may have lost a render or two (and a parameter set or two...) by clicking randomly on the wrong part of the screen...

The more good is the rendering, the more I am nervous due to possible bad random clicks that can screw up the precious render (or close the program???) cheesy

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »

Owh... Didn't know that Jesse! But I can't help it, I just start pressing buttons and see what happens and only start reading manuals when I'm sure there is no way out without it  grin

Thanks for the hint. I don't mind losing a render, but losing parameters can be frustrating...

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
tomot
Iterator

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »

This will also work, but only on quad or multiple core machines.

I sometimes open 2 copies of Mandelbulb 3d, and allocate 2 cores to each application, I'll minimize one copy while it renders,
while I continue to play with the other copy.

cheers!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »

You can also set the priority to a lower value before calculation, so the program calcs only if no other thread needs the CPU.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: