Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 10:53:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: CHAOS VS BLACK SWAN THEORY'S  (Read 4354 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: November 23, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »

Ok I just started to read Gleick's book "Chaos"  Then I stumbled into the book by Taleb "Black Swan Theory"  Now I was pondering.. are they not saying virtually the same thing?

Jameses
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:01:48 AM »

care to summarize?
fractower
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:49:51 AM »

I think it is fair to say that both theories place bounds on the ability to predict the future, but I think for different reasons.

In a chaotic system, small errors in initial conditions (or introduced noise) are preserved and amplified. At some point the amplification is such that all predictive ability is lost.

In  Black Swan Theory the prediction problem is not so much with initial conditions. The problem is that some smart ass comes along and changes the rules.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »

care to summarize?
 Here is a quick summery! 
I think it is fair to say that both theories place bounds on the ability to predict the future, but I think for different reasons.

In a chaotic system, small errors in initial conditions (or introduced noise) are preserved and amplified. At some point the amplification is such that all predictive ability is lost.

In  Black Swan Theory the prediction problem is not so much with initial conditions. The problem is that some smart ass comes along and changes the rules.
In black swan theory it seems to mainly deal with man made occurances.  Chaos theory seems to deal with (my God) Mother nature.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BDbuJtAiABA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BDbuJtAiABA&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Soo new question..Which is more unpredictable.. man or nature?

lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »

[/quote]

Yes.   smiley  The rules of man are far less well codified than those of nature.  On the other hand, people are probably much better at navigating ill-defined people-based systems than nature-based systems, so it may be a wash.
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:10:02 PM »

Yes.   smiley  The rules of man are far less well codified than those of nature.  On the other hand, people are probably much better at navigating ill-defined people-based systems than nature-based systems, so it may be a wash.
[/quote]

Yes I'm inclined to agree.  Both are chaotic.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: