Logo by dainbramage - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 11:51:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Programs for modelling chaos theory etc?  (Read 16342 times)
Cyclops
Conqueror

« on: November 30, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »

Just reading about chaos theory/sensitive dependance on initial conditions in James Gleick's Chaos,also information online, and I was wondering what programs are out there for modelling such non-linear systems?
I came up with an idea and would like to be able to model it.
Basically I thought of a pot of white paint with a single dot of red paint. A motorised mixing rod is inserted and rotates at a fixed speed until all the paint is mixed,(topological mixing) making pink paint (the infinity point)
The initial condition could be the placement of the rod,different positions giving different results.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:53:28 PM by Cyclops » Logged

Sensitively dependant on initial conditions
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »

Look at this:
The Kelvin-Helmholtz instability

I think, that's a very nice fractal from fluid dynamics smiley
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

Look at this:
The Kelvin-Helmholtz instability
<Quoted Image Removed>
I think, that's a very nice fractal from fluid dynamics smiley

now thas nice, and I'm sure i can see some julias in there!

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »

there are even more nice fractals which afaik all are related to each other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh%E2%80%93Taylor_instability
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richtmyer%E2%80%93Meshkov_instability
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plateau%E2%80%93Rayleigh_instability

All of them should be modelable more or less easily, I guess smiley

The Rayleigh-Taylor one even includes a formula which you might be able to use smiley

Oh, and don't forget the thermodynamic fractals....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamics
Most likely a whole set of fractals is included in them - just look at that tiny (tongue stuck out) "See also"-section.
At least one of them definitely is a fractal: Brownian motion smiley
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »

Gotta love that Brownian Motion link!  afro

oftakofta
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:28 PM »

Gotta love that Brownian Motion link!  afro

I'm glad someone appears to be enjoying it  smiley. I am currently in the process of trying to find and describe a break point between Brownian motion and directed motility for bacteria. Not as fun as it sounds, but nature loooves those breaks in symmetry (i.e. from randomness into order in this case.) so I guess I'll have to tag along for the ride.
o0megaZer0o
Alien

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »

this is quite beautiful
what an odd coincedence, I've just recently became interested in fluid dynamics in autodesk maya. I suggest that all of u guys download maya and begin using the fluid 3d node. I did some work with it a few weeks ago. Everything that was mentioned in this thread is present within the parameters of the fluid 3d grid in maya. You guys would have a lot of fun with it. Once youtube is finished uploading my fluid test, I'll upload it here  cheesy
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »

this is quite beautiful
what an odd coincedence, I've just recently became interested in fluid dynamics in autodesk maya. I suggest that all of u guys download maya and begin using the fluid 3d node. I did some work with it a few weeks ago. Everything that was mentioned in this thread is present within the parameters of the fluid 3d grid in maya. You guys would have a lot of fun with it. Once youtube is finished uploading my fluid test, I'll upload it here  cheesy
Where do we get this maya from?

o0megaZer0o
Alien

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/skzNZP0FsXg&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/skzNZP0FsXg&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

in the dynamics tab there is an option to create a 2d or 3d fluid box which you can create your fluid inside. this effects has been used in movies for explosions, water simulations and harry potter like spell effects. More than likely though if fluid 3d is being used for production purposes, the plug-in "Realflow" would be used to test out and bake the dynamics in its separate program and then brought back into Maya. This is because fluids are so slow in Maya, wheres Realflow dedicate all of its memory to dynamics and nothing else. I think it might run on the GPU as well. Search fluid 3d and 2d in youtube and you should be able to find a tutorial on how to get it started. I recommend you search "realflow" as well just to see how cool it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: