Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 06:02:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Creating a new Fractal piece  (Read 4508 times)
The Rev
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:15:30 AM »

I'm interested in how each of you goes about the process of creating a new piece.  I ask because I tend to just start picking stuff, tinkering with parameters, trying this or that, and allowing the "where I'm going with this" to just reveal itself as I go.  Only once have I started a fractal with some idea of what I wanted the end result to be.

Is this the case with the rest of you?  Or do you work towards a goal you envision before you begin?

The Rev
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:41:27 AM »

Hope you don't mind me moving this.  It's better off here  (Meet & Greet is mostly for intro's and such).

As for the question - The closest I come to planning ahead is a color scheme I'd like to use.

The rest is just Zen.

I often try an idea, or try to make something similar to something I saw elsewhere, but get so sidetracked that I wind up doing something wholly other than what I intended anyhow!

Or I'll try to see what happens by plugging favorite numbers into odd places, just because I like the numbers!  (primes, pi, e, etc...)

I can sometimes make what I want, but rarely.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Thunderwave
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »

I get a concept in my mind about a program I know, and then I try it out.
Apophysis: I usually think about which formula I want to explore and then I test its possibilities.
3D is very new to me so I just explore all it can do.

I have to have an idea in mind in order for me to work it through, otherwise I feel I am wasting time.  This doesn't mean I always get what I want, but mostly I am surprised by what I get.
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:46:27 AM »

I generally have an idea in mind--I very rarely start from "scratch."  Interestingly, the images for which I had a fully-formed plan are generally not as good as my more "free form" images.  I guess I tend to overthink things.   smiley
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

I tend to "go with the flow"  Which BTW tends to distract me from original idea.
pfrancke
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »

always such a thing is limited by what one knows....  the more you know the more options there are.  When you know nothing, then start with what you like and play with it.
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »

i write code, i patch code, i explore and improve algorithms, i test stuff, i try to understand things.
The fractals rendering i post here is an incidental product derived from the coding process, a by-product  grin

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
heavenriver
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »

I go by instinct most of the time. I have some guidelines I can follow (like starting with formulas I know well and whose effects are more or less familiar to me), but I simply can't sit still, so I keep exploring all the time. That's a rather scrambled way, but I've learned a lot with this fractal empiricism!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

Me = randomness grin grin grin

Anyway lately I posted images made while testing my formulas if they came up good police

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
Xazo-Tak
Navigator

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 06:53:25 AM »

I tend to experiment with different settings to work out what makes awesome and what makes beiber.

I lost the game!
_db_
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 03:39:40 AM »

I start with a greyscale gradient and usually with an image that has previously caught my eye.  Then I play with parameters, colouring formulas, and sometimes the fractal formula looking for interesting shapes. Then I crop, rotate, zoom, etc. to try and get an interesting composition. This is the most time consuming part for me, I may many hours and sometimes days before finding something worthwhile.

Once the basic composition is there, I try to embellish and strengthen it. I may add layers with different colouring formulas to add texture to the shapes or visual interest to the areas around the basic shapes, to add visual flow and emphasis. Then I experiment with colours until I arrive at a workable palette. Finally I refine the colouring by adjusting individual colours.

I often save quite a few interim results, some will have certain attractive elements that I try to combine in the final piece.

Usually most of my time is spent trying to find the basic shapes and composition. When I find nice shapes I sometimes do a series of variations.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: