Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 08:47:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Three video lectures by Devaney on complex maps  (Read 3759 times)
BradC
Safarist

« on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »

Videos of three nice lectures by Robert Devaney on the dynamics of complex maps are available here:

http://www.globalpres.com/mediasite/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=00282ad2-f5b5-4991-a75e-d4ac72b6196e&folderId=48820f4c-94dd-4827-b33d-84d3b5fcee1c

The first lecture is on the Mandelbrot set, the second is on iterated exponential maps, and the third is on iterated rational maps.
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »

Thanks for posting these Brad.

Microsoft silverlight is required to see them so you may have to swap browsers to download it for your computer.

I can recommend them as engaging, informative, and introductory.
He skips over the more esoteric stuff to zero in on things we generally might be interested in.

I have just finished listening and watching the first one, and it has helped me clarify the subtle distinction between julia and mandelbrot. Even he finds it slippery to get across, but that is not a big issue cos you have great pictures to orient you!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:07:22 AM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:11:38 AM »

Ok so Lecture 2 is a lot more Technical, which is because the mathematical analysis is more technical, and perhaps not many people have had exposure to such media manipulation! in this case it is the behaviour of certain curves and conditions abstracly related through a graphical control.

Then when he talks about longer than infinity you know that you have to be in a very special place to say such a thing! grin
No , i do not suppose he is mad, just that we so limit ourselves unnecessarily.

And finally hard to see but the underlying double mandebrot.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:09:17 AM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »

Ok so i watched the third video about Serpinkski.

This is not really a video explaining why mathematicians are lonely people! rolling on floor laughing

Nor does it explain why a mathematician is likely to be very prolix or very terse! wink

However to be serious, this is the hardest of the three but the most explanatory of the mandelbulb  patterning!

Just look at the pictures and identify the shapes on the sine or cosine mandelbulb, and then try to listen a little bit to what he is saying.

You are going to have to watch this video several times, with a mandelbulb nearby, then this gives a kind of topography or geography of the mandelbulb.

Obviously this is very very technical, but it will reward a little effort if you want to orient yourself on the mandelbulb.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »

Quasz has enabled me to produce these 3d versions of Devaney's rational map for n=2 and lambda small.

Also you may note i have finally started to explore how to use the pallette! embarrass

.This image shows the Fatou set using a julia iteration. When lambda is zero the Fatou set is a sphere.

. This is a close up of the region i am going to ger 2 detailed images from. The connected structure only becomes apparrent now, as at the larger scale the image looked"dusty". I really can not reccomend Terry's work enough! For a quick render with this much detail and contour  i cannot expect much more!
Well when i look and see the Menge like sponge grid with cantor like dust inside i know both Devaney and Gintz got something right!
I did wonder what these were until i remembered Devaney said there were embedded rabbits ears. mandelbrots etc. You can see them kind of poking out, but at this resolution not much can be done to employ contrast and shadow etc. Still, they are wonderfully clear enough to identify.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:05:42 AM by jehovajah » Logged

kek
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »

Videos of three nice lectures by Robert Devaney on the dynamics of complex maps are available here:

http://www.globalpres.com/mediasite/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=00282ad2-f5b5-4991-a75e-d4ac72b6196e&folderId=48820f4c-94dd-4827-b33d-84d3b5fcee1c

The first lecture is on the Mandelbrot set, the second is on iterated exponential maps, and the third is on iterated rational maps.
I've seen them all, they're amazing! I love this fractal mathematical chitchat. Thinking about using it in a new movie. It's so inspiring.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: