Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 11:59:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: What happens when I choose a different starting value x0?  (Read 3007 times)
Description: when it's no longer the Mandelbrot set, then what is it?
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« on: August 13, 2010, 12:40:17 AM »

Hi,

I just tried plotting a Buddhabrot type fractal and instead of the usual x0=(0,0) for my iteration
start value I tried other constant numbers, such as e.g. (0.5, 0). This tuple notation is supposed
to represent a complex number by the way.

The visual results were certainly interesting - but what does a different start value x0 actually
mean? When it is no longer the Mandelbrot set that I am getting - then what is it wink

I am contemplating to choose two values x0 = (-a,0) and x0 = (+a,0) to generate two
slightly distinct perspectives for a stereoscopic view. Or alternatively x0 = (+a*cos(alpha), +a*(sin(alpha))
for the left eye and x0 = (-a*cos(alpha), -a*(sin(alpha)) for the right eye where alpha is another parameter.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:57:40 AM »

it is called pertubation, you do not use the same starting value ( like (0,0) -> a complex number, one reason is that it consists of 2 components)
if you see it in a realtime program, you can imagine how the starting value affects the resulting mandelbrot image
but nevertheless, you produce nice variations of the iteration loop, which is visualized by buddhabrots

it is like the julia seed applied to the mandelbrot wink

i do not really believe that it produces usable stereoscopic results, but nevertheless, it is worth a try if each eye views a different pertubation of the set ...
but it happens to be that the mandelbrot is always moving in the same direction if real axis pertubation values are positive or negative

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:04:41 AM by Trifox » Logged

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: