Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 06:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Why is this the real 3d Set?  (Read 1740 times)
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »

Pretty simple.  The details of the 2d set emerge when we apply different colors to the different iterations.  We run into a problem when attempting to do this with a 3d set: we can only directly observe one layer of the 3d set at once, unless we slice it (which is not nearly as cool looking, not that anything I do is cool looking, unless you look at me when I am reallllllly hammered).

So we have to color it in a manner that shows the underlying structure (I could have said underlying mathematical structure... but I didn't).  When we see the underlying structure (structure is a hard word to type, at certain periods of time, for various reasons, do not attempt to spell it without help) we.. see the underlying structure.  Am I rambling?  Yes.  But this is not very important.  The main point of the matter is this: the (or one of the) 3d Mandelbrot set is known, available, yet unacknowledged due to some esoteric reason that escapes me at the moment... pride?  I don't know.  Anyways, here is one of the simplest extensions of the Mandelbrot set into 3d, just a quick z^2, that doesn't really demonstrate the potential awesomeness, but will show you the true path to 3d almond bread cookies.  (Mandelbrot... one of the best, simple cookie recipes in existence).

There are a lot more like this in another thread in this forum, but as I am not artistically inclined (rather, I am not inclined at all, unless I am on a slope), you might not enjoy it (or they) too much.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

Actually, the Mandelbrot Set could only be Real if you removed the Imaginary Components.

But then it would be much less Complex  afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
stigomaster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »

Sockratease, you would still have the bifurcation diagram, which is kind of complex as well. Pun taken anyway.  grin
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »

Sockratease, you would still have the bifurcation diagram, which is kind of complex as well. Pun taken anyway.  grin

You Evil Human!

The only puns I can think of to work off your statement revolve around the syllables "bi" and "fur" - and as such are just too naughty for a Family Friendly site such as this one.

cop cop police bubble gum police cop cop

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »

Actually, the Mandelbrot Set could only be Real if you removed the Imaginary Components.

But then it would be much less Complex  afro
  cheesy  chucklin' over here. 

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: