Logo by jodyvl - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 02:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Any interest in participating in a commercial Blu Ray fractal movie?  (Read 1962 times)
shadyJ
« on: July 16, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »

Do you guys think there would be any consumer interest in a Blu ray disc which was mostly a pretty fractal display? I have been thinking about it, and I think that such a disc would sell, if marketed and priced right. Maybe something like one of those 'special interest' DVD's, you know, where they have stuff like landscapes, a fireplace, a aquarium, etc.

Something like this would need to be a collaboration between a bunch of artists, because the movie itself would need to be 1920x1080 at 24 FPS. Obviously, it would take an enormous amount of time and talent to create something nice in that data rate. I have tried my hand at fractal creating recently, and I really don't have the processing power, skills, or experience to make something worthy of selling. Which brings me here to fractalforums.

What I am proposing is this: a 1080p Blu Ray disc of different fractal video pieces, between four to seven minutes each, set to a 7.1 surround sound music score. I think such a video should be at least 45 minutes to be a fair purchase. This forum is looks like the best place to gather interest from the right people in participating in such a project. So would anyone have an interest in contributing to such a venture?

I must confess that I don't have any expertise in making a Blu Ray video, and I don't know that much about the aspects of it- authoring, publishing, or financial and copyright matters. All I have is an idea! But I can definitely take the time to learn and sort that stuff out if enough serious interest is expressed by capable artists in this community or anywhere else.

Let me know what you think about this idea, even if your thoughts are critical, and you have no interest in being involved. I would love to hear advice or suggestions any of you can give. If you have any questions, please ask away here, or you can PM me.

Thanks!
James
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »

I could make it; could you sell it?

aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 04:03:57 PM »

There are lots of fractal artists who have probably had similar ideas/dreams, but never pursued creating and selling a DVD or Blueray because of various logistics.

If you had expertise in Blue Ray disc authoring, access to some kind of distribution channel, copyright knowledge (especially with regards to sources for accompanying music) and other practical resources then I'd be interested.  But with little more than an idea and not even being an avid fractal artists (the image I get from your description), I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

shadyJ
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:58:58 AM »

These are some good points.

I have been looking at it, and many places that replicate Blu Rays also do authoring for a relatively small fee, so I don't see authoring as a big problem.

As for copyright, I am still looking at that. Copyrights for collaborative efforts can be handled many different ways, from my understanding. I would have to see how publishers handle copyright control. This is something I am still thinking about, where the copyright ownership of this type of project should lie.

As far as music goes, I would like to try my hand at a making a surround sound score. I don't feel like music has really taken advantage of surround sound systems, and I would like to make something that aggressively uses all of the channels available in Blu Ray playback. I could only do an electronic score though, but I do have the tools to do this. I think the ideal way to approach that is the score should be done first, and the animation should be synchronized with the tempo of the music.

As far as access to a distribution channel, that is why I have to contact a publisher. I think there would be publishers out there who would be interested in such an idea who deal with 'special interest' DVD's, like computer animation demos, backgrounds, etc. Before I contact a publisher, I want to have the resources in place to move forward if I can get one interested in doing business. That is why I have come here, to gauge the interest in participating in a project like this. So let's put it another way: if I found a publisher who was interested, then how would you feel about it?

Advice or suggestions on any of this would be greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: