Logo by MarkJayBee - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 17, 2024, 01:05:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Health issues & animations  (Read 6186 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: June 26, 2010, 08:30:14 PM »

On several occations the topic has come up about someone could possibly get a siezure & or some other neurological affect (negative) from viewing some animations.  Has been joked about ..  What do you think about this?

aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 05:36:33 AM »

People with epilepsy can be sensitive to sounds or bright, flashing flashing patterns.  Such things certainly can trigger a seizure by stimulating particular brain activity.  It's extremely rare for such a thing to happen with a healthy person though, although particular patterns can certainly induce vertigo (dizziness) which happens when the perception of motion from the eyes don't match up with the perception of motion from the inner-ear (ie. you are not moving but your eyes tell your brain that you are.)

A number of years ago there was a story from Japan about an episode of Pokemon that had intense flashing in one scene that triggered more than a handful of children around Japan to have seizures:  http://animefan25.tripod.com/seizures.htm  (not sure how accurate this source is, I didn't bother to read or verify it, I just googled "pokemon siezure episode).

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

read the first paragraph of this wikipedia article on photosensitive epilepsy..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:39:32 PM by Trifox » Logged

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »

Seizures can even be caused by driving past trees in bright sunlight i.e. where the light ripples bright/dark - people particularly susceptible cannot drive for this reason.
This problem is why any TV footage containing flash photography usually carries a warning.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »

Call it a health issue or a sensitivity it is an indication of the parallel processing function of the central nervous system which is a distributed system. The highly computational aspect of diffraction grating analysis in the visual system combined with a phased audiometric analysis in the auditory system alone would easily account for this phenomenon! Just thinking about that makes me dizzy! embarrass

Combine with that the other sensor systems and pow! any misalignment produces nausea etc as a dislike/disgust reaction.  That most of us appear to cope with this is probably an assumption that has limited value, as we all complain of disease in this modern fast moving technological world. Sensory overload may or may not be an evolutionary selection pressure but it sure feels like that sometimes. No wonder we had Luddites and anti progress reactionary parties, and  now increasing autism identification. This is not so much a health issue as a demographic distinction of the human and animal populations.

I am not advocating trashing technology by the way, just balance. And as usual this is a highly individual responsibility and requires the ability to iterate to achieve it.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »

All have brought up great points! The 1st time I had concidered this was when I had posted fractal art in my "Ponderings" group in a social networking sight. A member who is a lawyer just stated that it could cause a siezure.  hmmn  I remember once when I 1st started with ChaosPro I had everything going at once.. color-cycling etc. got a headache.  BTW I have neurological damage from spinal cord injury& yesa a t times bright lights can be annoying. Yes can be dizzying, mezmerizing.  Maybe could be used to control others?  tease  I seriously doubt though that those with epileptic seizures would be perusing fractal art. Maybe, maybe not..

JackOfTraDeZ
Explorer

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 05:25:20 AM »

Hello Darwin!  Why would anyone with these issues be cruising the net looking for psychedelic animations in the first place!? Perhaps to deliberately create a problem, then a lawsuit .....?
People need to grow brains and be responsible.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »

but that takes me to the point to include an epilepsy warning in our site!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
aluminumstudios
Conqueror

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

Of course there are awesome dudes out there looking to have a problem and blame someone else, but I think most epileptics are aware of their situation and do everything they can to avoid problems.  I used to work with a guy who had epilepsy and he made sure to steer clear of things (predominantly bright lights) that made him feel queasy.  He used to comment that he liked the cloudy weather of the city that we worked in much better than all of the sun of the state he lived in previously because the brightness frequently caused problems for him. 
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »

Trifox no need to worry here.  Anyone who has those issues would not be surfing here. I have slight issues with light, but I have enough common sense to take care of myself. (even tho I tend to be a "moth to the flame") wink

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »

yes, but it is "theoretical" possible to trial against it, in us everything is possible, so, i added that to the imprint section of the site

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »

Or the addage "better be safe than sorry"   cheesy

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 03:22:58 AM »

I once created an acrylic painting that was specifically designed as an optical art experiment.  The color choices, along with the widths of the lines, definitely had an effect on those viewing it.  In fact, while I had it laying on the floor once, the house cat at the time would approach it cautiously, then jump back suddenly as if the painting were trying to grab the cat.  (It was loads of fun to watch the shenanigans.)

I am now considering a similar experiment using fractals within a video.    evil

But this has got me thinking about using subliminal messages/scenes within fractal videos.  All sorts of possibilities come to mind with this train of thought.
Maybe a quick flash of the words "Vote For Me" or "I Am The Best" could be used for the next Competition!!!  nasty teeth   devil

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »

...But this has got me thinking about using subliminal messages/scenes within fractal videos.  All sorts of possibilities come to mind with this train of thought.
Maybe a quick flash of the words "Vote For Me" or "I Am The Best" could be used for the next Competition!!!  nasty teeth   devil

I put subliminal stuff in my contest video this year : http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2106

It's near the end, but may have been too subtle.

It didn't work.

EDIT - Forgot I could just put the video here!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r2aG0bFpdkg&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/r2aG0bFpdkg&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

The incredibly subtle subliminality begins around the one minute mark...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:51:56 AM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Wel lEnTaoed
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »

Hello Darwn huh? Common sense does not sem so common anymore.  Subliminal messages (I believe) used to be used on Tv, but now illegal.  Hypothetically speaking (ofcourse) wink if I were to do subliminal messages in video, how many frames per sec. would get the job done?   huh?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: