Logo by Fractal Ken - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 09:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: DE Raytracer issues  (Read 1136 times)
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:11:33 PM »

Hey,

I was playing around with DE Raytracer and original quaternion Julia.
Latest build of package from 3Dickulus, no modified code, everything as is out of the box.

I noticed 2 strange behaviours:

1) It looks like the focal plane is not actually perpendicular to the camera optical path (and the screen rendering).
It's clearly visible on this image:
http://labs.kizny.com/image/120362591875

Sort of weird. Any ideas?

2) Artifacts on the rendered image
Across most of the rendered images I see some sort of artifacts highlighted on the image.
It is persistent across a series of frames and the areas slightly move over time across the image.

Any ideas on the reason for it?

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »

Not sure about the DOF. I tried to render a couple of tests (attached) in legacy Fragmentarium, and they looked as I would expect. On your image the orientation is not clear to me, so I can not really tell if it looks wrong.

Many kinds of artifacts may arise. Try adjusting the Dither (perhaps even disabling it) or setting the FudgeFactor to something less than 1. Banding issues also appear routinely. Artifacts can also be caused by specular highlights. Some fractals may also exhibit NaN-values at certain settings (which always result in non-antialiased black pixels).

* test.jpg (92.62 KB, 1109x616 - viewed 251 times.)

* test2.jpg (37.3 KB, 903x597 - viewed 234 times.)
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 03:25:00 AM »

it looks ok to me for a focal plane that is very thin and an aperture that is large, the math for this is (ciiw) all in the shader.
try making Aperture a bit smaller and InFocusWidth a bit bigger.
do an animation where the object rotates or the camera floats around it and observe the look of the focal plane, when in motion it will be very apparent and may lend a clue if there is something wrong.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: