Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 04:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Visions of Chaos  (Read 12678 times)
chaospro
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »

Hi,

just wondering...is anybody out there using VOC?

I'm always totally fascinated when I read what the program actually is capable of. Reading through the latest list of changes is very exiting!

Then I download the program, install it, and remember: It is so painfully slow that I cannot wait for a single image to render...I'm just trying to render a mandelbulb. Visions of Chaos tells me, it has rendered 2%, needs yet another 2 hours to render!!

It's a real pity it is so slow...
Power 8
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »

That's very strange I bought VOC and have rendered dozens of Mandelbulbs with it. http://lariphotos.free.fr/fractales/mandelbulbs.htm
I found it to be one of the faster renderers. It takes about 10 minutes for a 1024x768 image on a single core pentium 4 PC... Which is okay by me... It does get longer if you zoom deeply into the mandelbulb but that's true of all fractal programs I've tried... all in all it's a great program that does a lot of stuff besides Mandelbulbs.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:03 PM »

Hi, just wondering...is anybody out there using VOC? 

I have acquired several of the Trial versions over the past few years, but never bothered purchasing the product just so I could try out the "full version".  (Though it states it is only the saving images, printing images, and creating AVI movies that are disabled.)  $45 AUD is more than I want to spend for a rendering application, especially when I have several hundred others available on my hard-drive.

Power 8
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »

I feel that the price is not too much considering all that's in there... It's less expensive than others on the market.  It does great renders of most all kinds of fractals , is easy to use and has great color scheme possibilities plus a good animation module and many other features and simulators besides fractals, and even makes music... I don't work for Softology by the way, just really like the software and enjoy using it.
t j atkings
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »

Hello,
I just want to add to this topic. I was also very excited about using Visions of Chaos as it is a great rendering program with many capablilities. In particular I enjoyed the ease with which it was to rended 3d fractals, especially hypecomplex julia and mandlebulb. But I only have one gripe... I payed $45 dolalrs for the program on Friday evening last week and it is now Wednesday of the following week and I still have not recieved the full program!!  undecided  Makes me sad but I think I will  have to retract my purchase... does anyone have any other reccomendations for easy 3d Mandlebulb rendering with a .jpeg export?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:02:38 PM »

Mandelbulb 3D is great, and free!

Just click the "downloads" link up top.

Mandelbulber, chaospro, and others too.

All fine software   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Softology
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:46:12 AM »

Just a quick note on T J's not receiving the full program.  I do take all sales seriously.  He notified me of purchasing and not receiving the full version.  I went back through records of past purchases and could not find any details of his purchase.  When asking for any proof or receipt of payment I did not get a response.  It is a shame this one sale went bad.  No system is fool proof.  Maybe the sale did go through but I did not get the automated notification.  If you (T J) are still reading this thread, send me an email and I am sure we can work it out.

Jason.

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 01:21:46 PM »

Hello,  I just want to add to this topic.  I was also very excited about using
    Visions of Chaos as it is a great rendering program with many capablilities.
    But I only have one gripe... I payed $45 dolalrs for the program on Friday
    evening last week and it is now Wednesday of the following week and I still
    have not recieved the full program!!

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

Just wondering if you have gotten in touch with Jason concerning your purchase, and if the situation has been resolved??

Since that was your one and only posting to this Forum (which was about 12 days ago), I am now wondering about the validity of your complaint.  A follow up would be nice, instead of leaving this open ended.

Softology
Conqueror

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »

A quick final update on this.  TJ did cancel the order and got his money back.

Still a shame.  From all my many sales over the years I have very very rarely gotten a payback or cancelled order.

I know as the sole author big noting his software is not a good recommendation, but for other people considering trying and purchasing Visions Of Chaos know that you will not be scammed/ignored.

Jason.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:52:01 AM »

TJ did cancel the order and got his money back.

So it means you had received the payment? You said earlier you hadn't. Can you clarify what happened?

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Softology
Conqueror

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 12:17:33 AM »

OK, to clarify.

Yes, because he was able to cancel the order on his credit card, the payment must have gone through originally.

When a purchase is made, I get an email confirmation from the credit card processing company I use.  In this case I did not get a notification.

3 days after purchase he emailed me asking for the software he paid for.  I explained I had no record of payment and asked for a copy of the receipt he would have been sent when he purchased.  I never got a response.

I only got notificed of the payback when I got a snail mail letter from my bank the other day saying the funds had been refunded.

I hope that makes everything clear.

Jason.

Thunderwave
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »

I have tried VOC and I love the music part to it, of course ( I write music), but the mandelbulb gives me errors and I gave up trying to figure out why.

error: "" is not a valid integer value

Also Windows 7 does not allow you to disable user authentication.   I did install elsewhere, but is that necessary?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »

I'm still very much "on the fence" about buying this program.

I have the demo, and it's great fun, but the deciding factor would be the quality of it's obj files and that's disabled in the demo.

Hey Jason; any chance of a sample Mandelbulb obj?  A high quality mandelbulb 3D model would make it worthwhile  (I've been disappointed in the obj quality of every one I've seen so far from other software).

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Softology
Conqueror

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 12:50:55 PM »

Thunderwave,

The Mandelbulb bug was due to the CPU core detection code.  It defaulted to twice the number of CPUs/cores in your PC.  Because the number of threads was a dropdown combobox then if your CPU was not 2x the number of cores in the dropdown it defaulted to a "blank" number of threads.  It is now an edit box so when the new CPUs come out with 512+ cores the issue will not exist.  Try the new trial version and see if it stops the problem.  Such a dumb programmer error.

I have been trying to write software to compose music for a long time.  I am in no way a musician.  It comes down to the same theory as genetic art.  The difficult part is trying to make software determine "this image is great" or "this series of notes is musical".  I have had conversations with musicians and asked them "tell me some rules tp explain how pleasing music sounds depending on the last few notes and the next note"?  The best response (after giving me that what the hell look) was "There are no rules.  Think about Jazz!".

Try the latest 1D Cellular Automata mode and the Next Nearest Neighbour Cellular Automata mode to hear my latest attempts at automatic music.

Sockratease,

The Mandelbulb mode of Visions Of Chaos does not support OBJ export.  As it is based on the same as most Mandelbulb apps (based on raytracing distance estimation code) there is no "3D grid sampling" to calculate and export.  A lot of the other modes do support OBJ export.  Any mode that supports OpenGL grid/mesh rendering allows OBJ export.

Jason.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:06:00 PM by Softology » Logged
German Fafian
Forums Freshman

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:43:11 PM »

@Softology;
[off topic mode] good sounding music can be any type, form and shape but....
Most people lean towards common progressions and voice-leading patterns.
What exactly do you want to know? [/off topic mode]

Your physical abilities should not limit your creativity.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: