Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 07:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: STEPHEN HAWKING  (Read 5205 times)
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« on: April 25, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »

In the continental US there is a special on about him.  (discovery channel, Sunday night) The smartest person on Earth?   I will watch & hope to learn something!   His work as a physicist seems top tie in beautifully with this art form.   (Hope this was right place to post this)  angel  His discoveries/work is "fooder" for the fractal artist!

teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »

I love hawkins! I heard that he was the one who figured out what goes on at the edge of a black hole - at the quantum level - and this made the first link between quantum and classic mechanics. But he then got stuck for an answer explaining why gravity is a much weaker as a force compared to the other forces. - Thats where string theory comes in....

there is a two part documentary on him called "master of the universe" each part is about 50 mins long and can be watched any time...

http://www.youtube.com/show/masteroftheuniverse
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:34:15 PM by teamfresh » Logged

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:01:51 AM »

According to their website's Daily Schedule:
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/daily.html
the following is what will be showing:

How the Universe Works
Big Bang
8:00 pm EDT (60 minutes)

This is the greatest story ever told, the creation of everything us. The programme investigates how the Universe came into existence out of nothing, and how it grew from a miniscule point, smaller than an atomic particle, to the vast cosmos we see today.

Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking
Aliens
9:00 pm EDT (60 minutes)

"Are We Alone?" An eye-popping journey from the moons of Jupiter to a galaxy perhaps not so far, far away in search of alien life. We'll see what aliens might look like, question what it means to be alive, and calculate the odds of making 'contact'.

Time Travel
10:00 pm EDT (60 minutes)

"Is Time Travel Possible?" Hawking explores the world's favorite scientific 'what if?' warping the very fabric of time and space as he goes. From killing your grandfather to riding a black hole, see how time travel may actually come true.

How the Universe Works
Big Bang
11:00 pm EDT (60 minutes)

This is the greatest story ever told, the creation of everything us. The programme investigates how the Universe came into existence out of nothing, and how it grew from a miniscule point, smaller than an atomic particle, to the vast cosmos we see today.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »

in ist actual discussion he states that aliens are not nice, and that we shall keep calm so that they wouldnt destroy us...

i think large distance travel is nearly impossible, and if, consider what would happen if a militarical civilization like us would discover live, e.g. on alpha centauri !?
so, we had a sonar satellite send to them, and we know there are people, what does hawkin thinks we would do !??! send a star cruiser loaded with millions of weapons
to them ?!?! i think he has read far too many science fiction stories ...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »

And let us not forget his Greatest Accomplishment:

He got to play himself on an episode of Star Trek!!

No other scientists have received that particular distinction  afro

He even got to poke fun at Albert Einstein in the scene  evil

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »

I pondered when actual science was left for syfi?  (after watching the aliens special)  Not thrilled with the warning part.  Can anyone tell which images are computer generated  VS hubble tele?
Teamfresh thanks for the You-Tube link!

teamfresh
Fractal Lover

nothing is everything

fractalco
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »

no problem

If anyone is interested in hawkins life story its well worth a look...

ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:48:39 AM »

in ist actual discussion he states that aliens are not nice, and that we shall keep calm so that they wouldnt destroy us...

i think large distance travel is nearly impossible, and if, consider what would happen if a militarical civilization like us would discover live, e.g. on alpha centauri !?
so, we had a sonar satellite send to them, and we know there are people, what does hawkin thinks we would do !??! send a star cruiser loaded with millions of weapons
to them ?!?! i think he has read far too many science fiction stories ...

not science-fiction, just our own history.

Why do we explore new territory ?
exploitation, minning, territory expension, ...

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »

in ist actual discussion he states that aliens are not nice,
and that we shall keep calm so that they wouldnt destroy us...

I believe he stated if "aliens" were capable of traveling to our planet, then they would be so far superior over us that we would seem very primitive to them.  And therefore, just another civilization to conquer and take over, or to eradicate.  But that was based upon the human history of destructive behavior.

i think large distance travel is nearly impossible, and if, consider what would happen
if a militarical civilization like us would discover live, e.g. on alpha centauri !?
....what does hawkin thinks we would do !??! send a star cruiser loaded with millions
of weapons to them ?!?!  i think he has read far too many science fiction stories ...

I think he reads more history than science fiction to make the statements he did.  Just look at what we have already done to fellow human beings:
  • Spanish vs. Mayans/Aztecs/etc.
  • Europeans/Americans vs. American Natives
  • Hitler vs. the Jews
  • Slavery
  • Genocide

Maybe there will finally be an end to what humans do to each other when December 2012 gets here.
   evil   nasty teeth

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »

In the continental US there is a special on about him.
  (discovery channel, Sunday night) 

I believe this is a series of shows that are running on Sundays:

The Story of Everything
May 02, 9:00 pm EDT (60 minutes)

The world's most famous living scientist presents the wonders of the universe, revealing the splendor and majesty of the cosmos as never seen before.  See how the universe began, how it creates stars, black holes and life -- and how everything will end.

Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »

How everything will end?  Or begin again with another "Big Bang"  BTW if anyone here is interested in more of this "type" of discussion/debate (& then some) smiley you can find it here!  http://www.eons.com/groups/group/r-u-ponderingwhat-im-pondering

Lee Oliver
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »

I read a few of his books a few years ago:  "The Universe in a Nutshell," "A Brief History of Time," and a few of his scientific papers.  He has some really good ideas concerning astrophysics, but I don't agree with his chronology protection conjecture. undecided

If anyone wants to read some of his paper here's a link:
http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+Hawking_Stephen/0/1/0/all/0/1

Have fun Azn

Kalo’smi lokaksayakrt-pravrddho
Lokan smahartum-iha pravrttah|

rte’pi twam na bhavisyanti sarve
ye’vasthitah pratyanikesu yodhah
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »

Thanks BrulalToad! I put the link on my favorites.  smiley

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »

Thank you for linking something that works smiley
For some reason, the youtube videos don't seem to allow Austria....
I really wonder why certain videos would be limited to certain countries but those are the very view that I am not allowed to watch here undecided

But the papers work just fine smiley
Bent-Winged Angel
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »

Pondering some more on Hawking.. He is a scientist. Yet he aslo seems to be a philosopher. I seem to be having trouble distinguishing were one ends (the scientist) & the philosopher begins. Anyone else? huh?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: